Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what if i can't do well  (Read 4353 times)

Natasha

• View Profile
what if i can't do well
« on: December 26, 2004, 07:20:24 PM »
What if no matter what, you couldn't get a decent score on the LSATs?

This is my big fear. Despite hours of studying, several prep courses, and tons of practice, I have this sinking feeling that I am doomed not to do well. My first test proved this point. I know in general that the LSAT is suppose to be a good indicator of how well you succeed in law school, but I truly believe I am an exception to the rule. My SAT score was laughable as well, though I almost finished with my undergrad, finishing in the top 3% of my class, been selected as student of the month, and mangaged to get almost all As while be plagued with several severe mental illnesses (which I think are best not best mentioned to schools). I just wish there was someway to bypass the LSATs or be let in on some type of special consideration to prove that I can do well.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what if i can't do well
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 05:57:47 PM »
No offense, but honestly, if you cant do well enough to get a decent LSAT score (let us say 150-158) then perhaps you don't have the reading/thinking ability to handle law school.  The LSAT is not a complete gimmick.  If you have a high GPA with a 145-149 LSAT you still should be able to get in to some tier II and III schools (hofstra for example).  If you can't even score 145, there might be a problem.

Matt

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 06:06:59 PM »
obviously you know why you're focused on law school etc... but this process has certainly taught me how extreme the differences might be in how successful someone can be in one area and how abysmally poor in another.  i'm pretty confident i have what it takes to succeed in law school.  yet, there are friends of mine who, while they cant seem to express a coherent point, are extremely gifted in biology and chemistry,  two areas i nominate myself for as resident moron wherever i end up in law school.

i'm not saying you are or are not suited for law school (i have no idea), but i am saying that it doesnt mean a person isnt bright if lsat/law school isnt their thing.

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 06:13:47 PM »
What if no matter what, you couldn't get a decent score on the LSATs?

This is my big fear. Despite hours of studying, several prep courses, and tons of practice, I have this sinking feeling that I am doomed not to do well. My first test proved this point. I know in general that the LSAT is suppose to be a good indicator of how well you succeed in law school, but I truly believe I am an exception to the rule. My SAT score was laughable as well, though I almost finished with my undergrad, finishing in the top 3% of my class, been selected as student of the month, and mangaged to get almost all As while be plagued with several severe mental illnesses (which I think are best not best mentioned to schools). I just wish there was someway to bypass the LSATs or be let in on some type of special consideration to prove that I can do well.

Here's the serious response:
First of all, if you give it your best shot and seriously sit down, study etc., then even if you don't do well, you will know that you have given it your best, so if schools don't take you then @#!* 'em. Also, if you have several severe mental illnesses that may or may not have impacted your performance on the LSAT, then that is definately something that you should address in either your PS or an addendum. If this part is done properly, then not only will you get a break about your bad score, but you'll also score 'overcoming adversity' points. Trust me, you have nothing to worry about if you do these two things.

Now for the less serious:

Are these mental illnesses sexual in nature? If so, please contact me, I have those too. Either way, you may be able to score diversity points, since the mentally unstable are definately a URM in law school.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 06:31:47 PM »
I understand your fears, I personally don't think the LSAT, or any standardized test, is an accurate indicator of your future success because success depends on so many other variables. If you are serious about law school, the sky's the limit. Don't give up! There's nothing wrong with applying in the next cycle if it means studying for a year to raise your LSAT; that might be a possibility for me depending on my performance on February's test. If anything, that just shows how dedicated you are about achieving your goals. Try to get at the very least a 147-150, with a high GPA, great PS, and excellent LORs, you still have a shot at some good schools. Good luck!
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

DJ Hunny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 06:39:21 PM »
Natasha, I have a similar fear as yours. I'm also afraid I'll indulge so much time and effort into it only to do horrible. But I also know that I can do real well as long as I study hard and invest a lot of time & energy into it. I blew off my SAT's back in HS so I'm not going to repeat that mistake!

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 06:46:16 PM »
I just wanted to echo Gentoo's post.  You didn't mention what LSAT score you received most recently, and "decent" can mean different things for different people.  Several posters here were dissatisfied with 160+s, which was often perfectly resonable, because they were aiming for T14 schools.  But that's beside the point:  many law schools will offer you the opportunity to let them know any additional information about you that they might find useful in evaluating your application.  Certainly your illness would fall under this category, so take those opportunities to tell your story.  Good luck :)

P.S. Many people hate the first LSAT.  It gets better because nerves get better!
HLS

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 06:54:57 PM »
I just wanted to echo Gentoo's post.  You didn't mention what LSAT score you received most recently, and "decent" can mean different things for different people.  Several posters here were dissatisfied with 160+s, which was often perfectly resonable, because they were aiming for T14 schools.

Ahh, good point. I just assumed below 150 because of Matt's response.  ::)
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 06:58:03 PM »
ahhh yes.  Matt's posts can be very influential. :P

...sorry momentarily distracted by Princess Bride.  Such a great chick flick.
HLS

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 05:09:42 PM »
Sugar, I had the same sinking feeling and worked my big butt off and to no avail. I spent hours bawling over my score but I am going to send yet another adenda to my applications and present my application as a whole rather than a stupid number. I know people with 180's that went to Harvard Law and can't find his (ok not really people) way out of a wet paper bag and someone with a 156 that transfered to GT that is bloody brillant and has been such a professional success. Try not to get discouraged! Its a pain in ass test and some people test much better than others. If you really want to go to law school, there will be a law school for you. Good luck!