Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt or Harvard?  (Read 5040 times)

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boalt or Harvard?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2004, 05:05:41 PM »
If this helps kill that hostage, I'm not interested in Public Sector. However I am interested in Intellectual Property (Boalt is #1). So maybe that just complicates matters.

If there is no other factor that pulls you strongly in any direction, you can't go wrong with Boalt (and the Bay Area) for IP. I think that actually makes your decision easier.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2004, 05:08:39 PM »
Everyone who replied to this topic has made some valid points. Where do you want to practice? Is quality of life during law school important to you? What kind of law would you like to get into? These are all factors that you should consider before making your decision. IMHO, you can't go wrong with Boalt or Harvard. Also don't pay attention to rankings. Most law schools don't approve of them and there are a lot of other factors that are not taken into consideration.

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2004, 05:11:26 PM »
Even though rankings don't matter in many cases Harvard is Harvard.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

Regal_Muse

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2004, 05:13:08 PM »
Yeah harvard...(still haven't heard anything from them yet! Grrr) Honestly, if I got into both schools, I might go with Harvard because I want to be on the east coast.

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2004, 05:14:17 PM »
Boalt IS a public service school.  Much more so than Haravard or any other school in the top 14.  Those people who are interested in public service gravitate towards Boalt because of the Jurisprudence and Social Policy Program -- the only one of its kind.  
I believe Penn has a mandatory public service requirement that as far as I know is absent from Boalt's requirements. But anyway is there anything that shows that people from Boalt are more public service oriented than people from any other T14? I freely admit my views are based on purely anecdotal experiences based on growing up in the Bay Area and working at an SF law firm for than past 5 years. If you have stats or something to indicate that my experience with the people I knew who went to Boalt or graduated from Boalt is somehow not the norm let me know. My experience is that people go to Boalt because it is a prestigous school and the second best in California. Not because the public service orientation of Boalt is so much better than anywhere else. As far as Harvard being a corporate feeder well that's because it's one of the most prestigous schools in the country and even public service oriented people get swayed by the idea of making $125k. It's not as though people who go to Harvard are cold business types whereas Boalt people are community focused. That's a stereotype I'm sure a lot of people believe but in my experience it hasn't proven to be true.

Law is a prestige driven profession, and the Harvard name will take one far in the realm of BIGLAW, but Boalt is clearly the better choice for public service.
Okay now we're going over the edge. If you think Boalt is somehow superior in prestige to Harvard in the public service sector you are mistaken.

Berkeley is a great school. A prestigous school. One of the top schools in the country. All that being said it doesn't really compare to Harvard. Harvard is by I think all measures superior to Boalt unless the financial aspect or the fact that Boalt is in California is determinative.

Don't choose based on IP. It's not like Harvard has a bunch of losers and Boalt has all-stars. Firms care less about specialties than they do about general law school prestige. Oh yeah don't go into IP, it sucks.

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2004, 05:14:40 PM »
I think you should go to Yale ;)
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

Regal_Muse

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2004, 05:17:45 PM »
Yale is in my top three. At this point, I really don't know where I want to go. If I get into Yale then it's probably all over, unless some other school offers me an astronomical amount of money to attend.

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2004, 05:35:41 PM »

Don't choose based on IP. It's not like Harvard has a bunch of losers and Boalt has all-stars. Firms care less about specialties than they do about general law school prestige. Oh yeah don't go into IP, it sucks.

Yeah, I understand a lot of law students go in thinking they're going to specialize in one thing and then realize they have no interest in it.
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

TLFKARG

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2004, 05:40:46 PM »
Nekko,

I looked at those stats the last time I was in the Boalt Career Services Office.  There were some handouts they gave me (which I do not have with me here in Florida), but most of the info remained at the office, since I only collected information that was pertinent to my career goals and intersts (obviously, those not being public service). If you are particularly interested, you could probably request the info from them.

Just to add some purely anecdotal evidence, I know quite a few classmates of mine who are very public-interest oriented.  Many of them were accepted to a number of the top schools, even HLS, and opted to go to Boalt for the JSP program and what they deemed as a better public interest program.  Quite honestly, PI was never my cup of tea (mainly because I will have so much debt I will not be able to afford to do it immediately after graduation), so I don't know all the considerations that go into selecting the best school for that area, however, I assume that ANYone who is as passionate as these people are about PI and who would go to a lower-ranked school to pursue a certain area of study would not do so without significant contemplation and adequate research.  

Regal_Muse

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2004, 05:42:30 PM »
LOL @ Ruskie....You Boalt lover!