Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt or Harvard?  (Read 5121 times)

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boalt or Harvard?
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2004, 04:12:56 PM »
Although boalts rep in Cali may be better, I think that is beacuse most Harvard grads don't go to Cali...Harvard is a better degree and you an easily get a great job in Cali from Harvard.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

TLFKARG

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2004, 04:18:39 PM »
I think the Boalt-Harvard 3L exchange program offers some insight.  Each year, 6 students switch spots between the two schools.  At Harvard, to get into the program, you can't stop short of sacrificing your left nut, while at Berkeley, more people apply to be on the Law and Tech journal than to go to Harvard.  I actually have a friend who is a Harvard grad that did the program and she said the year she spent at Boalt was the highlight of her law school career.  Harvard is known for a very cut-throat and impersonal environment.  If you are willing to put up with all that to have a Harvard degree on your wall, great.  If you are a more laid-back person, you are likely to fit in better at Boalt.  I think the best way to make a decision is to go to the schools and talk to some students, preferrably those that have done the exchange program so you can get the pros and cons for each school.

If you're worried about Boalt's fall from US News grace last year, don't.  Someone posted a thread on here not too long ago showing that Boalt has never hung around the bottom for too long.  It does have a tendency to shift up and down in the top 14 pretty frequently.  I don't think last year's rankings are indicative of a general tendency of decline.

If you're interested in academia or clerking for the SCOTUS, you should definitely go to Harvard.  Despite what you may have to face at Harvard, the doors to such opportunities will literally shut in your face if you have a Boalt degree.  Prestige is very important for those two avenues -- much more so than it is for firm jobs.

On a side note, not many people ever get to make the choice between these two great schools.  You are truly lucky!  Congratulations.

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2004, 04:22:42 PM »
exactly both are great schools; however, I have heard from many that the cutthroat perception is overrated and it is not that bad. It clearly is very competitive though, but it should be that way.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

jaxon

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2004, 04:28:12 PM »
cutthroat or not, you can still get 125K out of harvard if you finish in the bottom of your class.  you can't say the same for Boalt.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2004, 04:28:50 PM »
there is no "bottom of the class" at boalt.  so you're right, you can't say the same about boalt.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

jaxon

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2004, 04:30:44 PM »
there is no "bottom of the class" at boalt.  so you're right, you can't say the same about boalt.

they do break students into groups somehow though, don't they?

the 25% salary for private practice at Boalt is only 70K... if they don't break the class into groups, then what determines who gets the top jobs? interview skills? connections?

either way, my main point was that practically anyone going to HLS can make 125K, it looks like at Boalt a lot of people going into private practice will make pretty low salaries

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »
they don't release the rankings to outsiders at all, unless you're applying for academia or a clerkship, in which case they'll release your rank as a percentile range (i.e., 99th percentile, 95th, 90th, 80th, 70th, 50th; something like that) to the potential employer and your recommendors.

source: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/currents/registrar/academic-rules/

ruskie can probably better explain the salary range.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

jaxon

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2004, 04:49:05 PM »
so if you are planning to do BIGLAW, you might as well put in minimal effort to get by and still are not guaranteed a top salary.. sounds kind of sketchy to me.  i looked at some TTTs with comparable salary stats... GWs are actually a great deal better than Boalts.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2004, 04:53:35 PM »
i need ruskie to back me up on this, but i think employers see your transcript.  the grades are high honors, honors, and pass.  10% HH, 30% H, and 60% P.  there's also a barely pass, and of course fail, but i think those are rare.  a 40% chance of getting H or HH is pretty good.  seems worth the effort to try to be in the top 40% in each course so you can fill your transcript with H's.  that's gotta look good to an employer, even if they don't know your rank based on that.

btw, i didn't look to verify your stat of 25th percentile of private practice being $70K.

jaxon

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2004, 04:56:12 PM »
that makes more sense... actually a very friendly way of grouping students, except that they are not getting the good jobs... 70K just isnt much money to be making after shelling out $$$$ for LS.

i need ruskie to back me up on this, but i think employers see your transcript.  the grades are high honors, honors, and pass.  10% HH, 30% H, and 60% P.  there's also a barely pass, and of course fail, but i think those are rare.  a 40% chance of getting H or HH is pretty good.  seems worth the effort to try to be in the top 40% in each course so you can fill your transcript with H's.  that's gotta look good to an employer, even if they don't know your rank based on that.

btw, i didn't look to verify your stat of 25th percentile of private practice being $70K.