Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt or Harvard?  (Read 4913 times)

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Boalt or Harvard?
« on: December 26, 2004, 02:59:41 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on deciding between Boalt Hall (UC Berkeley) or Harvard.
I actually live in Berkeley (walking distance to Boalt).
I'm worried that Boalt isn't what it used to be though (slipping steadily for the last few years).
I also hear that Harvard has been reinventing itself over the last few years, in a positive, less intimidating, direction.
There's also a possibility that if the California budget situation keeps going the way it is, Boalt could end up being more expensive than Harvard. (annual tuition went up $5000 last year at Boalt).

Anyone have some first hand experience?
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

LordofLight

Re: Boalt or Harvard?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 03:05:19 PM »
If you are concerned about slipping reputation, and if expense doesn't matter to you, then Harvard seems the best choice. In practical terms Harvard probably provides a better edge with respect to opportunities nationally, but the two are probaby pretty equal in California. If I had the choice between the two, and I didn't mind the huge loans, Harvard would be my choice. But then again I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed about attending Boalt. This rambling discourse is of no apparent good, so I'll end it now.  :-[

jakew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 03:35:13 PM »
Your concerns are certainly something you need to take into account, but they really will have to be your decisions. Berkeley is still incredibly respected, and Harvard is... Harvard. Personally, ignoring the possibility of Boalt's tuition increases I would probably base my decision on geography. I love the Bay Area, but Boston is a great place too - Do you want to get a change? I am currently in undergrad in DC and although I love DC and would love to go to GULC, I also want to go somewhere else just for the sake of a change.

Well, I think I am rambling now too...

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 03:40:07 PM »
Harvard.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 03:43:59 PM »
Harvard!!!!!!!!

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSN:pennquaker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lubester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 03:44:41 PM »
Um, I have to admit I didn't read your post.

But your post's subject is enough for me to adjudicate:

Harvard.

Depositing: Stanford
Waitlisting: Yale, Harvard

genreg78

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 04:00:04 PM »
Do you like the California lifestyle? Harvard is sort of in a crappy area. The weather sucks.

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 04:00:50 PM »
Harvard
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSN:pennquaker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lubester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 04:02:01 PM »
In fact, you can have my Stanford letter in exchange if the choice is too difficult.
Depositing: Stanford
Waitlisting: Yale, Harvard

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 04:02:20 PM »
i made a comment about boalt's ranking recently on LSD, and someone pointed out that historically, boalt has always been in the 7-13 range, and the periodically move up, periodically come down, but they're always in that range.  the average ranking was actually 11.  so their current ranking isn't out of the ordinary at all.

now you said reputation, so i don't know if you were talking about USNWR rankings, or the assessment scores (which i use to gauage reputation).  right now my top two choices are NYU and boalt.  not quite harvard and boalt, but hopefully in the coming months, that'll be my new dilemma ;)  anyway, despite an 8-spot difference in ranking, boalt's reputation is only 0.1 points lower than NYU's, out of 10 (add the two assessment scores together).  in terms of reputation, boalt is somewhere around #7 i think.  it's 0.7 points lower than harvard's total.  if you want to practice in CA (as i do), you need to think about reputation in CA.  for me, boalt would be the obvious winner in that category, because boalt's rep is strongest in CA, and my reasoning suggests that if you only ask people in CA, boalt's would be higher than the 8.9 you see in USNWR.

however, i doubt that the difference would make up the 0.7 gap with harvard.  if i were you, i'd go to harvard.  don't make a decision without a visit to both schools, though.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?