Law School Discussion

In at Northwestern!!!

!@#$%

• View Profile
In at Northwestern!!!
« on: December 26, 2004, 06:58:09 AM »
Just realized no one had yet started a thread.  Am very excited!!!  I was really surprised to hear this early since my GPA's not so hot.

3.19/174; 5 yrs WE relevant to the field of law I want to practice (immigration); wrote the optional "Why Northwestern" essay and had a very good off-campus interview.  Notification via email on 12/20 with the promise of a letter to follow soon after New Years.

ilsox7

Re: In at Northwestern!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 07:10:10 AM »
Congrats on NU!!  You will love Chicago.

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 07:20:13 AM »
I have never actually been to Chicago, except through the airport on my way to Asia.  Am looking forward to visiting sometime in the next couple of months to check out the school and see if I can hack the winter weather.

ilsox7

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 07:24:18 AM »
I'd suggest visiting later rather than sooner...unless you REALLY want to see how the weather is.  It got cold this week but is sposed to warm up this coming week.  If you are looking at buying places, take a look here: www.dreamtown.com

All in all, I consider Chicago to be the best US city...though I am certainly biased.

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 07:30:14 AM »
My buddy who lived in Chicago for about 30 years told me I had to go visit in the dead of winter so that I wouldn't get any unpleasant surprises next year if I move there.

Thanks for the website.  Am browsing right now!

ilsox7

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 07:32:55 AM »
Good luck coming in the dead of winter...the breeze off the lake will be frigid!  Also, try to fly into Midway as O'Hare sucks.  Although Midway is becoming big, too.  And make sure to try out some great Chicago food, which is one of the best parts about living here.

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 07:45:48 AM »
Holy crap!  Real estate in Chicago is so cheap!!!  At least compared to DC.  I could buy a 1BR/1BA condo in the Gold Coast district for under 200K.  What neighborhoods are worth searching for housing near NU.  Likewise, what neighborhoods should be avoided?

Have already got the list of must-visit eateries!

ilsox7

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 07:52:41 AM »
Well, I am from Chicago yet my knowledge of downtown isn't great.  This is my first time living in CHicago (the burbs) since I graduated college.  I will move downtown if I go to school here.  Anyways, a little info I do know.  Lakeview (also referred to as Wrigleyville) is generally more of the "frat guy" type scene.  Lincoln Park is your young professionals area and is probably the most expensive.  The friends I have here and the place I would probably live is kinda the Gold Coast/Lakeview area.  In fact, I have a friend who lives in the New York Building (3660 N LSD)...it's a high rise with views of the lake, Wrigley Field, and has a bell man/front desk reception.  Also has a parking garage attached.  One BR there go for 190-200s.  My friend has one that is probably around 700 square feet and has a balcony.  And he is on the 42nd floor.

As long as you stay rather central, you will just be a shot El ride away from NU.  If you're a bar kinda person, that's where a lot of the differences in the neighborhoods can be seen.  I happen to love trying new, odd types of food, and if you like to do that, definitely Google some things b/c there is a restaurant for just about every nationality here.

I should also mention that the Loop isn't considered to be a great place to live, but mainly b/c there isn't much of a social scene there.  Also, the South Side has a reputation as being, eh, not so nice (not totally true but the rep is there).  And unfortunately, there has bee na series of rapes this last week in Wrigleyville and there were some rapes in Lincoln Park earlier this year.  Sadly, I think this is a conscern in any big city these days.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 11:38:52 AM »
Holy crap!  Real estate in Chicago is so cheap!!!  At least compared to DC.  I could buy a 1BR/1BA condo in the Gold Coast district for under 200K.  What neighborhoods are worth searching for housing near NU.  Likewise, what neighborhoods should be avoided?

Have already got the list of must-visit eateries!

NU has a beautiful campus in the Gold Coast area, so that's probably where you want to live if you want a short commute.  While the weather does suck in the winter, I don't think its so bad that you should pass up a great school for a couple months of cold.  Chicago is an awesome city, despite of the winter weather

!@#$%

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 05:56:29 PM »
Thanks, Sox and Turtle, for the useful info.  I may have more questions when I get closer to arranging a visit.