Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Selecting a Tune from the Addendum Jukebox  (Read 311 times)

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
Selecting a Tune from the Addendum Jukebox
« on: December 26, 2004, 02:51:58 AM »
I was wondering what your collective opinions are on the following: I took the lsat twice, once in October once in December my scores were a 156 and 166 respectively. Most law schools want explanations for a significant score increase and most schools seem to consider 10 points a significant increase.

I feel selecting a tune from the LSAT anxiety jukebox (ie. I got no sleep, I was nervous, My test taking neighbor was distracting, I was slightly shorted on time) is unconvincing although most of these factors were operating during my October test day.

Should I play a goody but oldy for the Adcomms or should I simply say something to the effect of "My October exam was far astray from my scores and their average on at least a dozen of my practice lsats (strictly timed). My October testing conditions were not conducive to scoring well and I think this shows in my first score. My second score is more in line with where I was practicing, my University work, and my research endeavors and I feel is more reflective of my true ability and potential".
Thanks for your feedback!
~Justin
Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

JonParkes

• View Profile
Re: Selecting a Tune from the Addendum Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 03:03:08 AM »
I like the one you wrote in italics.  It's straightforward and sounds honest.  The typical excuses seem whiney.  I would especially avoid saying you were nervous in October.  Won't you be nervous during finals?

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 01:55:52 PM »
Anyone else have suggestions?
Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

Geddon187

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 05:24:29 PM »
second one looks better

xplosiverk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 06:45:46 PM »
I would send the italicized version. It's really honest, but not whiny. I might go into a little bit more detail about it though.. because it also seems sort of vanilla, thats part of its appeal, but i would go into a bit more detail.

Italicized it is.