Law School Discussion

How is Loyola- New Orleans....

Oneof2

• View Profile
Re: How is Loyola- New Orleans....
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2005, 10:36:28 AM »
Agreed. I know that New Orleans has a reputation as a dangerous city and as such I will be prepared. 

Also, Im thinking that those rankings are a bunch of bull. I know that I found that link, but I just looked at it again and I cant believe some of the cities on the list. I mean I've lived in Birmingham all my life and cant imagine why it's ranked 10th on the list of most dangerous cities. We never even lock our doors. In any case, I cant find any rankings that show anything differently.

jeflord

• Fix it!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - akalakk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2005, 07:20:18 PM »
An important fact to remember is that the vast majority of instances of violent crime are perpetrated by a spouse or by someone you know.  This includes murder, assault & battery and rape.

I was in New Orleans this summer and found it to be clean, well policed and far from crime infested.  I felt safer there than I do on the wino infested main street of the town I now live in.

Of course I am very intimidating. :D

grannypants

• In my day nickels had pictures of bumble bees
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2005, 07:40:48 PM »
I lived in NOLA for about five years (ug/masters at Tulane) its a different kind of city..there is crime but you learn really fast. I was a bit shell shocked at first but I have tulane friends here (Chicago) that were held up at gunpoint and never had an issue there, I was b***h slapped by my cell phone my jr. year and my best friend was b*** slapped by her mugger with her purse and stole her clothes...anyway, just keep your guard up and use common sense. And...Miss Mae's...ha....I love 24 hour bars...I'll spare you the story of my formal date getting mugged with a fork....Loyola has a great reputation in Louisiana and I had several friends that went there for law school and enjoyed it. Great area, great town. Good luck

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2005, 10:00:52 PM »
I lived in NOLA for about five years (ug/masters at Tulane) its a different kind of city..there is crime but you learn really fast. I was a bit shell shocked at first but I have tulane friends here (Chicago) that were held up at gunpoint and never had an issue there, I was b***h slapped by my cell phone my jr. year and my best friend was b*** slapped by her mugger with her purse and stole her clothes...anyway, just keep your guard up and use common sense. And...Miss Mae's...ha....I love 24 hour bars...I'll spare you the story of my formal date getting mugged with a fork....Loyola has a great reputation in Louisiana and I had several friends that went there for law school and enjoyed it. Great area, great town. Good luck

I think the fact that the town was rough around the edges is actually part of its lasting charm, as far as I'm concerned.  But then, I love dive bars and all kinds of people, not to mention always having something interesting happening (not that being held up at gunpoint or being mugged is 'interesting')

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2005, 11:14:22 PM »
Yea I'm another Northeaster lookin at NO.  I was down there earlier this year and it was awesome.  I totally agree that it's like no where else I've been in the country.  You a Penn Stater KevDog? think i've seen you post on a few PSU topics.

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2005, 07:34:21 AM »
New Orleans is like an island of culture. No other place is like it.  Sometimes that is good, sometimes it is bad.  What you will find is that the place is run ass-backwards by the people who are in charge some of the time.  Crime wise, most of the violence is drug-related.  It happens it neighborhoods you couldn't pay me to go into at night (ie. 9th Ward, Central City, The Calliope Projects, etc).  Stay away from these places and you will be ok most of the time.  Of course you always have to wary where ever you are.  A few weeks ago, Loyola and Tulane girls were getting held at gun point and sexually assaulted right by school.  The perpatrator was caught, but its still scary out there.  You just have to watch out and go in groups when you go out, especially if your a girl.  New Orleans isn't the only place like that i guess.  Here in Austin, my friend's car was stolen on West Campus while we were at a bar.  Pretty Crazy, especially cuz there were so many people around, and I never feel unsafe around UT's campus.

grannypants

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2005, 07:43:57 AM »

I think the fact that the town was rough around the edges is actually part of its lasting charm, as far as I'm concerned.  But then, I love dive bars and all kinds of people, not to mention always having something interesting happening (not that being held up at gunpoint or being mugged is 'interesting')

No it was forkpoint...not gunpoint.....NOLA is part of me and I don't regret living there. You are so right about the foreign country down there, it really is a whole other world but N'awlins has a great culture, rich history, lovely parks etc....I am going down in April for a wedding and I can't wait. Good luck, you have me all excited now about my second home. :-)

grannypants

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2005, 07:45:42 AM »
p.s-Best Dive bar in NOLA (I may have to start a new thread...sorry to hijack)
Snake and Jakes Christmas Bar on Oak....if its still there...it was a tin shack or something but best dive bar....

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2005, 07:50:39 AM »
p.s-Best Dive bar in NOLA (I may have to start a new thread...sorry to hijack)
Snake and Jakes Christmas Bar on Oak....if its still there...it was a tin shack or something but best dive bar....

I think I may have been to the Christmas bar.  Is it near F&M's Patio Bar?

Some of those bars literally were in tin shacks!  I was like "What is this, the carribean?"  but I guess it all makes sense considering the town's roots.  So weird, but I think that's the appeal, really.

We'll have to wait and see.  It's going to be hard to resist if I get into Temple or Villanova, since I live here now and they are great schools, but to an extent, in my mind, I think Loyola can compete with just about any of the other schools on my list.  Could get interesting.

And yes, I did go to Penn State.

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2005, 10:10:37 AM »
no, its not near f&m's... its kinda hidden in a neighborhood on Oak.. On the Tulane side.. Sweet, sweet, place.. Someone was murdered there while i was in school (the place is safe as can be though.. i swear).. My favorite dive bar, hands down, is BUTLERS.. That place is sweet, sweet passion.. Its right on the river and serves pabst in a bottle (i didnt even know that * & ^ % came in a bottle until i went there for the first time)..

NOLA is sweet love.. I miss it too much.