Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Richmond  (Read 7626 times)

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
Re: University of Richmond
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2004, 11:57:08 AM »
Even though I feel kind of let down that you were told there isn't any movement so far after the 2nd deposit, maybe now I won't get my hopes up too much.  Once I did the math last week, I realized I've got only a little bit better than a snowball's chance in hell. 

According to my calculations, I think about 200 or so people sent in a first deposit, and that's about 35-40 more people than they want in a class.  I can see a couple of people sending in first deposits just to hold a spot until they hear from a first choice, but I really can't see 40 people out of 200 doing that.

(I wish I had brought it to work today to give the exact numbers!)

It sucks that they can't tell us more or tell us sooner, but I think maybe at this point, the longer we have to wait, the better our chances are?  If they weren't truly hoping to be able to give us a spot, I'd hope they'd have rejected us by now.  Or maybe I'm just delusional...  Who knows - I wish there were more people on this board interested in Richmond so we could get more info!  :)

P.S. It sucks that you might have to move a lot in the next month, but if it's any consolation, housing in Richmond near UR is plentiful and affordable!
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2004, 04:48:05 PM »
You know, I do have a birthday coming up...  I kind of want to send them a birthday card telling them that more than anything, I want to give them a birthday present for my birthday: $75,000 over the next 3 years.  How's that for pathetic bribery?

That might be inappropriate, though, ya think?!  ;D
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

desperate student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2004, 04:05:13 PM »
Hi daynee and everbody:

I was so frustrated with the Richmond situation, that I quit writing or waiting. Anyhow, it seems like is the ultimate test of patience. I think it will be worth it to find out when the fees is due, because that is when even a slightly non serious candidate is likely to drop out. The sense I got from an inside track is that, they were expecting to let in about four to five people, but looking at the amount of responses, they are not sure about that much. I recommend to those who have any viable options to SERIOUSLY prepare themselves for that.

Take Care.

Desparate Student

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2004, 04:15:29 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean, "inside track"? 

Hi daynee and everbody:

I was so frustrated with the Richmond situation, that I quit writing or waiting. Anyhow, it seems like is the ultimate test of patience. I think it will be worth it to find out when the fees is due, because that is when even a slightly non serious candidate is likely to drop out. The sense I got from an inside track is that, they were expecting to let in about four to five people, but looking at the amount of responses, they are not sure about that much. I recommend to those who have any viable options to SERIOUSLY prepare themselves for that.

Take Care.

Desparate Student

richmond candidate

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2004, 12:42:39 AM »
hate to heap frustration on what seems to be a mounting pile, but im yet another waitlist victim thats being strung out until the nth minute. the last word they gave me was that they do have a full class at this moment, which is not particularly what we want to hear. ive made plans with another school, and am contemplating transferring in. richmond's a great area and the school's in the prettiest part. i went to vcu undergrad, and grew up in nova, and must say richmond's a place that i would love to go to law school, it's a shame that the prospects are slim.

and it's comforting knowing im not the only one being tortured.

keep up the posts.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2004, 10:04:52 AM »
[...] the last word they gave me was that they do have a full class at this moment, which is not particularly what we want to hear.

When did you last communicate with them?  I haven't called since I got the latest letter (end of May).  Once I did the math, I realized thier class was already too full, and would take a lot of withdrawls for them to go to the PWL.  I'm still hanging in there, though...

ive made plans with another school, and am contemplating transferring in. richmond's a great area and the school's in the prettiest part. [...]

Does that mean you've withdrawn yourself from consideration?

Thanks for the info and good luck!

richmond candidate

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2004, 11:14:01 PM »
i talked to them last week, and no, i don't think im going to remove myself...im still holding out hope as well.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2004, 09:42:16 AM »
i talked to them last week, and no, i don't think im going to remove myself...im still holding out hope as well.

Good luck to you - one thing I have definitely learned from this whole process is that patience is key.  And I'm not a patient person, so even if this doesn't work out, at least I've gained something...

I really love Richmond, too.  It would make me so happy if the handful of us on this board who have been waiting (and waiting and waiting!) are the handful that gets off the waitlist!

Anyway, keep me posted!

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2004, 12:51:49 PM »
Okay.  So, last week, I get a call at work and it's UR.  They ask me if I were to be accepted, would I attend?  I, of course, said absolutely (almost pulled a Mr. Big and said abso-f-in'-lutely, but I luckily refrained).  They said something should be decided within a couple of days.  That was last Monday.  I haven't heard anything since.  So, I call this morning to ask them what's up, and I get the run around and completely get the impression that they won't be accepting people off the list after all, but they could call me anytime between now and the first day of orientation.

Now, when they called me, they did say there weren't any guarantees.  However, through all of my reading and research, if and when a LS goes to the trouble to ask a waitlisted applicant, "If we were to accept you, would you attend?" it's the step immediately preceeding actually offering a seat (because they're not going to offer unless they know they aren't wasting their time).  So, how insane is it that I finally get this call, and now it looks like there's no hope after all?

Did anyone else get this call?

Definitely cruel and unusual punishment, if you ask me...  ???

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2004, 09:58:52 PM »
Well, to anyone who is interested, my wait is over, and kind of bittersweet.  Dean Rahman called me this evening and offered me a seat and I took it.  I've already missed a day of orientation, and I have no idea what I'm going to do about the job I now need to quit, but I guess everything will work out... Thanks to everyone who has commisserated with me through this quite bumpy ride, and I wish everyone the best of luck!