Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Richmond  (Read 7444 times)

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
University of Richmond
« on: April 26, 2004, 01:35:19 PM »
Hi.  Hoping anyone could help me with info on UR.  Anyone know how quickly their priority waitlist is moving along?  (I saw that someone on lawschoolnumbers.com was accepted off of it last week.)  Are a lot of people who were accepted withdrawing?  Anyone apply for May session and not hear a definitive answer yet?

Thanks for any help, and good luck to everyone!  :)
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

browneyes4u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Richmond
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 10:28:20 PM »
all i know abt the school is that it is situated in a very good area.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 10:31:41 PM »
Yes, it's gorgeous.  I heart Richmond.  But then again, I'm a native, so I'm a little biased. ;)
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

eclecteaux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 12:50:25 PM »
Richmond seems to be making some movement on its waitlist. They were a school that was particularly affected by the overall phenomenon of fewer actual law school applicants but a massive increase in applications (thanks, LSACD!) I think they've begun to aggressively cull their list of accepted's to see who is actually coming so they can now fill their class off the waitlist. The Admissions Staff there is amazingly friendly and helpful...assuming you haven't already pestered them too much, I'm sure they'd be candid and upfront if you inquired about your situation.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 01:29:35 PM »
Richmond seems to be making some movement on its waitlist. They were a school that was particularly affected by the overall phenomenon of fewer actual law school applicants but a massive increase in applications (thanks, LSACD!) I think they've begun to aggressively cull their list of accepted's to see who is actually coming so they can now fill their class off the waitlist. The Admissions Staff there is amazingly friendly and helpful...assuming you haven't already pestered them too much, I'm sure they'd be candid and upfront if you inquired about your situation.

They are indeed very friendly and receptive.  Whenever I've contacted them, they've been kind and made another tick mark on my file, but they are non-committal on any specific questions I've asked.  For example, I applied for May session, and it starts in less than three weeks.  They were very vague about knowing if they would grant a decision before those classes start.  I know they don't care that I'd like to give my employer a proper two week's notice (honestly, they have no reason to care), but I'm just impatient and want to know yesterday.  Again, my impatience is not their problem, but it's still freaking me out! :)

I was hoping to get some input from people in a similar situation.  If you don't mind me asking, are you a Richmond candidate?

eclecteaux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 07:29:04 PM »
I was accepted by Richmond in Feb., and it looks like I will attend, unless I'm let in off a waitlist to my first choice. I have had occasion to speak with the Dir. of Admissions a couple of times for various reasons...and I've found her a delight to deal with, relatively speaking.

My advice to you is to cool out and relax as best you can. I know first-hand how difficult that can be, but at this point I'd say it's out of your hands. It sounds like you've adequately demonstrated your interest, and thereby, done everything you can. By the by, I would imagine applying to the May session helps your cause.

Now just hope the planets align and you get shined upon with the U of R love...

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 07:38:34 PM »
I was accepted by Richmond in Feb., and it looks like I will attend, unless I'm let in off a waitlist to my first choice. I have had occasion to speak with the Dir. of Admissions a couple of times for various reasons...and I've found her a delight to deal with, relatively speaking.

My advice to you is to cool out and relax as best you can. I know first-hand how difficult that can be, but at this point I'd say it's out of your hands. It sounds like you've adequately demonstrated your interest, and thereby, done everything you can. By the by, I would imagine applying to the May session helps your cause.

Now just hope the planets align and you get shined upon with the U of R love...

Thanks!  And congrats on your acceptance!  And good luck with your first choice, too!  Richmond is a great school, though!  I have a unique perspective because I was a continuing studies student there and a coworker's wife is a student there now.  So I get to hear a lot of stuff from her perspective.  And I like everything I've heard.

But yeah, I'm going to try and be all Zen about it, because good or bad, at least it'll be over soon! :)  Breathe in, breathe out...

Any other potential Spiders out there?

desperate student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 01:39:23 PM »
Hi, I am on the wait  list too, and it is quiet frustrating, but I have just gone numb. I would just urge people who are accepted and not going to come to make that known to the admissions office. This may make our life easier. To my fellow victims of mechanical law school admissions process I wish the very best.
Abhi

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 01:50:04 PM »
Hi, I am on the wait  list too, and it is quiet frustrating, but I have just gone numb. I would just urge people who are accepted and not going to come to make that known to the admissions office. This may make our life easier. To my fellow victims of mechanical law school admissions process I wish the very best.
Abhi

Hi, Abhi.  I'm sorry you're WL'ed, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one.  Sometimes it helps just to commisserate...  Would you mind giving me a little background on both yourself, your experiences with the AdComm staff, and why you want to go to Richmond? 

If it makes you feel any better, as unrepresentative of the entire applicant pool the data may be, a few people on lsn.com have withdrawn their acceptances and one person was accepted off the waitlist last week and subsequently withdrew.  It also doesn't look like, of the people on lsn.com who applied, that many really want to go to UR. 

randylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 01:44:49 PM »
I feel your pain being stuck on UR wait-list. I was wondering if you had heard anything today, I am checking my mail box and phone like a mad man. I am also waiting on wake forest but it seems like most folks are that way who applied there. Ok thanks for your help.