Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deferred: What to do?  (Read 492 times)

Kevin83

• 167 / 3.6
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GatorKevin1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Deferred: What to do?
« on: December 25, 2004, 12:10:43 PM »
I remember hearing a list of things you can do to improve your standing if you're waitlisted (i.e., additional LOR, additional statement, visits, etc.).  Do these same sorts of actions work to your benefit if you're deferred, or is it best to just leave your application alone?

JonParkes

• View Profile
Re: Deferred: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 02:59:51 AM »
Did your deferral letter say anything?  I got deferred at University of Pennsylvania, and they said I could send another letter, for example.  I'm hoping to find a good recommendor for another letter, and I'm going to write the optional essay about why you want to go to University of Pennsylvania.  I don't know if I would have done this if the letter didn't invite it.  It probably can't hurt, but I wouldn't have thought of it on my own.

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 12:39:38 PM »
I agree that a deferral can be an opportunity to improve your application.  You may be able to get an appointment with adcomm person(s) to discuss your application.  If you really want the particular school that deferred you, it makes sense to do everything you can to improve your file before it is reviewed again.

Foot Fetish

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 12:47:43 PM »
I remember hearing a list of things you can do to improve your standing if you're waitlisted (i.e., additional LOR, additional statement, visits, etc.).  Do these same sorts of actions work to your benefit if you're deferred, or is it best to just leave your application alone?

Whatever you do, DO NOT HECTOR THE ADCOMM!!!!  I did that once, and was immediately mailed a DING letter.

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 04:18:48 PM »

Whatever you do, DO NOT HECTOR THE ADCOMM!!!!  I did that once, and was immediately mailed a DING letter.
Yes, be extremely polite and charming, but persistent and tenacious.  For those who've competed for jobs, its somewhat analogous to post-interview follow-up where you try to keep yourself at the top of the pile.  Annoying people (adcomms or those making hiring decisions) is never a good idea.  Sometimes there is a fine line between annoying and charming, and hopefully your emotional intelligence quotient is reaonably high...

Kevin83

• 167 / 3.6
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GatorKevin1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks for all this advice. The school I was speaking of is Cornell. Their letter did mention something about providing the committee w/ any more information that we might deem useful for their decision. I already sent in 3 letters of rec, and I guess I'll consider a 4th. Also, I'm going to give them a call to see about a visit and/or an interview. Maybe I'll also send a singing telegram...