Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The where should I apply post  (Read 789 times)

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The where should I apply post
« on: December 24, 2004, 05:25:56 PM »
Hi guys.  Ok, so I took the lsat in Dec and just received my score of 168.  I have a gpa of 3.89.  I don't have any significant work experience, a legal internship and campus jobs, but nothing too impressive.  I've got a lot of community service and campus involvement and fairly good lors.  So, I'm trying to figure out where to apply.  I was really hoping for a bit higher lsat, but think I should be ok still.  My top choices are probably UT, Duke, and Georgetown.  However, i'm not sure if my list is realistic enough.  Here it is:

University of Virginia
Duke
University of Ca- Berkeley
Georgetown
UT
Vanderbuilt
University of S. CA
George Washington Univer
and probably a couple other safeties

Considering that my apps won't be sent for about another week, that will probably work against me a bit.  Could anyone offer an opinion?
Attending Duke

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The where should I apply post
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 05:29:30 PM »
i honestly think you have a great shot at all of those schools.  i would trade my 2.88/174 for your 3.89/168 any day of the week.  you should apply to some higher ranked schools as well, you never know what could happen.

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 05:30:15 PM »
Any preference of where in the US you wanna go?

Also, are blondes considered a URM? :P
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

NYKnicks

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 05:34:33 PM »
Your numbers are really solid and should give you a great shot at all of the schools you listed. I would even say you should apply to more schools in the top 10, you really are underestimating yourself if you don't.

BM2004

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 07:09:09 PM »
Katie:  Check out www.chiashu.com (hit the law school link on the top left hand side of the page).  You may have already seen this - it seems like a good place to get an idea about schools that seem like plausible possibilities - and your top three all appear within reach ... good luck.

HawkEye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 01:34:45 AM »
Hi guys.  Ok, so I took the lsat in Dec and just received my score of 168.  I have a gpa of 3.89.  I don't have any significant work experience, a legal internship and campus jobs, but nothing too impressive.  I've got a lot of community service and campus involvement and fairly good lors.  So, I'm trying to figure out where to apply.  I was really hoping for a bit higher lsat, but think I should be ok still.  My top choices are probably UT, Duke, and Georgetown.  However, i'm not sure if my list is realistic enough.  Here it is:

University of Virginia
Duke
University of Ca- Berkeley
Georgetown
UT
Vanderbuilt
University of S. CA
George Washington Univer
and probably a couple other safeties

Considering that my apps won't be sent for about another week, that will probably work against me a bit.  Could anyone offer an opinion?

It seems like you have a pretty darn good chance at all the schools you listed.  I think Berkeley looks right for you considering your GPA and LSAT.  3.89 is what Berkeley looks for and 168 is what Berkeley looks for.  Where are u living?? Outer state tuition is not really good in Berkeley.  You will be paying extra for??? I don't know??? not paying tax??? 

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 03:21:01 PM »
Hey guys.  Thanks so much for your help.  I really appreciate your advice.  Maybe I'll go ahead and add another higher ranked school.  I'm really looking for a bit warmer weather, so think UT might actually be the best location.  I am a Kansas resident, so will have out of state tuition wherever I go....  Lots of loans to pay back:)  Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Attending Duke

hocuspocus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 03:24:58 PM »
Don't know where you went undergrad to put the 3.89 in context, but I think you should definitely throw in more top 10 schools, especially Penn and Michigan, and probably Chicago too.  You wouldn't be insane to include Columbia and NYU.

davidfriedland

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 09:36:58 PM »
Hey guys.  Thanks so much for your help.  I really appreciate your advice.  Maybe I'll go ahead and add another higher ranked school.  I'm really looking for a bit warmer weather, so think UT might actually be the best location.  I am a Kansas resident, so will have out of state tuition wherever I go....  Lots of loans to pay back:)  Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Kansas is a lucky state to be able to host such a beautiful girl. Yes you are a wrap at Cornell - come here to New York we need some blondes to offset the brunette/blonde ratio.  ;D

ori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2004, 09:53:22 PM »
Katie:  Check out www.chiashu.com (hit the law school link on the top left hand side of the page).  You may have already seen this - it seems like a good place to get an idea about schools that seem like plausible possibilities - and your top three all appear within reach ... good luck.

How were these probabilities calculated???
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=origoongdengee
In: NYU, Temple
WL: Harvard, Stanford
Deferred: UPenn
WL/Accepted (for c/o 2009): Chicago
WL/Declined: Columbia
WL/Rejected: Yale