Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Russian = URM?  (Read 17651 times)

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
Re: Russian = URM?
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2005, 10:28:13 PM »
Ok, so maybe being Russian is not really a minority, cuz you're still white.  But does being Russian (or just an immigrant in general) help in the admission process or no?

I feel that it absolutely does.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

TLFKARG

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2005, 10:32:20 PM »
Ok, so maybe being Russian is not really a minority, cuz you're still white.  But does being Russian (or just an immigrant in general) help in the admission process or no?
Yes, it can.  Do a search for my thread on the difference between a diversity applicant and a URM applicant.

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2005, 10:38:21 PM »
Yes, it can.  Do a search for my thread on the difference between a diversity applicant and a URM applicant.

Is it in Minority Topics section?  Because I couldn't find it.

TLFKARG

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2005, 10:42:08 PM »

Is it in Minority Topics section?  Because I couldn't find it.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,20414.0.html

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2005, 10:53:44 PM »
Thanks

:)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2007, 01:23:12 PM »
I asked this already in another post but I wanted to get some more opinions from people? I came to the US when I was 11, and am a blatant caucasian. Does that make me a URM?

It gives you an edge in terms of diversity of experience if you can spin your application correctly, however it does NOT make you a URM!

This is a reminder to all those Eastern Europeans who are just itching to "check the box." Don't do it, man. It's unethical.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

slavster

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2007, 06:40:35 PM »
Interesting thread - I've got another pointed question. What if you're a dual citizen? This might be hijacking the thread and I'll post it seperately too, but should you apply as an international  just because this might help you get in, rather than an American citizen? Thoughts are welcome... I know that many T-14 schools take pride in how many international students they enroll...

(Hmmm...I might actually be kicking myself for not applying to Harvard as an International)
Attending: DUKE!

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2007, 11:31:45 AM »
Asians would have to continue to be included. We are culturally distinct. Many (if not most... at least where I come from) of us are still socioeconomically disadvantaged.

In my Population class we learned that Asians in the U.S. are the richest, most educated, and longest living group. (John Weeks, World Population)
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2007, 11:33:41 AM »

I feel that it absolutely does.

How? You're going to Brooklyn, but were you accepted to schools where you were below the 25%?
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2007, 11:17:21 PM »
It's sad really. I'm the only Eastern European 1L i know. I'd be surprised to find someone else who wasn't born here. Or maybe it's just UVA...