Law School Discussion

1L Dumps on NYU class

dta

Re: 1L Dumps on NYU class
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2004, 12:17:09 PM »
While I do agree that there is a difference between "that guy" and someone in class who asks pointed and legitimate questions, I also think that there are those who are uninterested in seeing this distinction. Many, who wish to just skate through school and life in general, make no distinction between the two. If you're interested in what you do and make an effort to get the most out of your education or your job, they are going to see you as "that guy" regardless.

So, here's my question. While we've been discussing how to distinguish "that guy" from the student asking legit questions, no one's yet posed how to distinguish the "mediocre lowest common denominator guy" who hates it when anyone actually participates from the person who has a legit issue w/ "that guy". So, please tell me - how do i distinguish the "mediocre lcd guy" from the other? I mean, the "mediocre LCD guy" is smart enough to *say* he's interested in the distinction - he knows he'll get roasted otherwise - but how do you really tell?

Until I can actually tell the difference, I just dismiss and ignore any who whine about "that guy". I find both "that guy" and the "that guy denouncer" equally annoying.

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2004, 12:26:57 PM »
So, here's my question. [...] please tell me - how do i distinguish the "mediocre lcd guy" from the other?

dta:  Are you asking because you're concerned that people do/will think of you as "that guy" when you think you're being the be the legit, curious, but not annoying, student?  To that I'd give the same advice - be who you want to be, deal with any opposition, and ignore it.  Because just as there are always "those guys" there will always be those people who are constatntly annoyed by every. little. thing.  Just a fact of life.  You can't make everyone happy, and you can't be perfect. People are going to love you and people are going to hate you.  It's true for everybody. 

Be who you are, but just know (in light of other people's experiences) it could get you in trouble, personally, academically, and professionally. 

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2004, 01:34:42 PM »
Did this just become the "that guy" chat room?

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2004, 02:01:39 PM »
Speaking generally, some people will dislike anyone who talks in class. 

There is a genuine difference, however, between being "that guy" and someone who speaks in class who isn't "that guy."  It's one to ask questions in class and it's another to state your opinion.  Law students do not like people who express lots of opinions in class.  We also don't like people with 'agendas,' e.g. the person who goes on and on about Scalia's opinion in such and such case. 

It's a matter of common courtesy to not monopolize a class.  You should have enough self-restraint to limit your comments in class. 

Law students understand that speaking in class doesn't help your grade so the suspicion is that people who speak in class all the time are showing off.  If you ask a question then you're not perceived as showing off because you're admitting that you don't understand or don't know.  Whereas when you express an opinion, you are showing off, in a way. 

We talked earlier about the duty to rescue.  In your 1L torts class you will likely discuss who owes a duty to rescue.  If you raise your hand and start waxing philosophic about how the law influences society and all that, people will think you're "that guy."  It's not just the lazy guy who will be annoyed but the person on law review too because a philsophical discussion is not the purpose of the class. 

daynee

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2004, 02:18:45 PM »
l_o_l:

Thanks for verbalizing that so clearly.  I now get the points you were making many pages earlier about the issue of "class talkers" relative to your irritation/frustration with those who look to gain something intellectually from their law school experience. 

dta

« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »
little_old_lady lays down the law: "Law students do not like people who express lots of opinions in class.  We also don't like ... "

It's funny how little_old_lady says "we" as though she is the elected spokesperson of all law school students. When exactly were you elected spokesperson l_o_l? What a crock.

Say "I" l_o_l. You don't speak for law students in general.

I know for certain I was viewed as "that guy" by other students in class and by peers at work. By and large, they are all under-achievers who are simply angry at the fact that someone else is working hard, which means they have to work hard too. Maybe i was "that guy". Maybe I wasn't. I really don't care enough to even try and figure it out. I just know I got every single penny's worth of my tuition and i've maximized everything I can achieve out of my job.

Quit whining about "that guy". If that guy is really "that guy" he'll get his due eventually and won't get promoted or won't get a good grade or won't have any friends. The quickest way to spot an under-achiever who looks for ways to "get out of work" is to find the one bad-mouthing those who are actually trying. If you are among those who really want to work hard and do a good job, you'd spend more time working hard and doing a good job and less time devoting so much attention to "that guy".

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2004, 04:43:39 PM »
l_o_l's enumertaion of her experience is the most helpul piece of information I have gathered amidst the usual trite generalized kaka.

daynee

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2004, 04:47:53 PM »
[little voice]

She kind of has a right to say "we," as she is a law student.  As she is in a law school environment and has been for a while, she is capable of observing law students' reactions to behaviors of other law students and having an idea of how professors reward such behaviors.  I am inferring that "we" includes her and her peers.  And she has every right to speak to her observersations and conclude with "we."

No, not every single person is going to react the same to everything.  I don't think that's what she stated or even implied at all.

[/little voice]

dta

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2004, 04:52:23 PM »
I'm a software developer. I've been a software developer for the last 7.5 years. How ya like this one:

We (software developers) do not like people who badmouth "that guy".

I have a right to represent all software developers in this manner because i've been one for a long time and i therefore know best. Gimme a break!

daynee

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2004, 05:04:32 PM »
I am inferring that "we" includes her and her peers. 

I'm a software developer. I've been a software developer for the last 7.5 years. How ya like this one:

We (software developers) do not like people who badmouth "that guy".

I have a right to represent all software developers in this manner because i've been one for a long time and i therefore know best. Gimme a break!

You took what I said and completely perverted it.  That is not what I said.  At all.  Sheesh.