Law School Discussion

D.C. schools for a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer

D.C. schools for a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer
« on: December 24, 2004, 01:25:17 PM »
Hey everyone im new here and I was wondering if u all could help me out with a few things. Im applying to law school next fall as well as an International Relations Program (Joint Degree).

I finished my 2+ yrs. in the Peace Corps a few months ago and im trying to see how i can spin the whole thing since im planning on doing international law. I want to go to school hopefully in the D.C. area so im wondering if you can give me my chances of getting into these schools.

URM (hispanic, bilingual [Id hope since i taught in a spanish speaking country for 2 yrs!])
GPA: 3.6
LSAT: 165
Planning on taking the GREs in the spring.

Im thinking on these schools in order of preference,

Georgetown (Top Choice)
George Washington
George Mason
American
 --Also thinking of UVA and William and Mary

for the IR degree:
Johns Hopkins University (International Relations study)
Georgetown School of Foreign Service
Maybe Columbia??

Do i have a good shot? Any suggestions on what I should do or if there are any other places i should be thinking about given my interests in international law? Like what schools are really well known for international law besides Gtown?

ANy feedback would be greatly appreciated!

miguel

• View Profile
Re: D.C. schools for a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 01:43:55 PM »
Congrats on your completion. I did peace corps a few years ago as well and am thinking I would like to practice immigration law, or work on policy issues in DC - hence I'm thinking DC is a good place to go to law school, too!

Personally, I think you stand a great chance at each school you mention! Georgetown is the top school in the area, so you would be well advised to go there if you get in. I think you will. If you do, the MSFS at Georgetown is a top quality program, I think that there maybe advantages - logistics if nothing else - to staying matriculated at the same university. I'm nearly positive that the course-share system allow you to cross-register if you see a class at Hopkins that you like, for example.

On the flip side, I know that American's JD/MA program is a great one for RPCVs - and there are plenty in it, including some friends of mine. While AU doesn't hold the same pretige value that Georgetown does, I know that it holds its own particularly in the area of International Law and Human Rights, with the big name law programs. Grads from this program are in all the big orgs like human rights watch, UN agencies, Dept. of State and USAID, etc.

Best of luck. Hope to see you in DC! 

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 07:09:46 PM »
I went to American for undergrad and while I'm least familiar with WCL, I do know that AU has an incredible reputation when it comes to International Relations.  AU's School of International Service is ranked pretty highly and extremely well-respected within the District of Columbia.  Also, I do know for a fact that WCL is pretty well-respected as well so pursuing a joint degree in International relations at AU would probably be a pretty good choice both in terms of the education as well as job prospects once you're finished with school.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 09:01:57 AM »
Thanks guys, this is helping me quite a bit. Any other feedback from people would be very helpful.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 12:42:23 PM »
Something you should be aware of is that the georgetown MSFS and Law campuses are separate. There's a free bus between them, about a 15-20 minute ride, but I can see that sucking depending on your class schedule. I don't know how common it is to do MSFS and Law at the same time, so GU may have some means of accomodating you. I doubt it - GU is pretty bad at logistics and management in general. MSFS does rock, though, and GU law is the best in DC.

George Washington is not significantly worse, though, and is better in some ways. Law and grad IR are at the same campus in Foggy Bottom. School and housing are also (slightly) cheaper. I think American has a lot of the same advantages if you have problems getting in to the other two (I have no idea about your chances, sorry).

Do you plan to work in DC for part of the time, or do you just want to live in the area? If the answer is "B," you might want to put out a reach app to programs at UVA. It's not that far - very easy to go up to DC for the weekend.

If you need to know any more let me know. I went to SFS undergrad and still live in DC.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 12:50:05 PM »
Out of curiousity, how was your overall experience doing the peace corps?

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 01:09:30 PM »
The IR folks in UVA's politics department are first-rate. I'd encourage you to take a look!

maricutie

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 02:19:16 PM »
Your peacecorps experience can only help. I felt like my AmeriCorps experience, while only half as long, certainly did! Also, if you're not too set on DC schools, I'd encourage you to look at the rest of the top 15 or 20. Georgetown seems to be filling up pretty quickly, but I think you have an excellent shot. Feel free to ask more questions, and GOOD LUCK!!

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 01:56:15 PM »
I did my undergrad at SIS at AU and got my MA in intl econ from GW.  I would say that for IR, you should try to get into SAIS at Hopkins if you want to do anything research-oriented or acacdemic.  However, if you're interested in policy, you should seriously consider getting a phd.
AU is known for conflict resolution type programs, G'town is known for gov programs, and GW is somewhere in between, in my opinion.