Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I should start seeing results when...  (Read 2016 times)

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I should start seeing results when...
« on: April 26, 2004, 11:42:02 AM »
I've been at this for a few weeks now.  taking practice sections and progressing through an lsat prep book (barrons).  like all of us (i'm assuming),  i'm looking to pick up 8-10 points from my original score (it was abysmal).  so far, i have seen no improvement in my performance.  i'll pick up a few points one day and lose a few the next.  but overall, i'm at the same place as when i started.  when should it start to come together?  what have your experiences been with score improvement?  over what period of time?
thanks. 

jgruber

Re: I should start seeing results when...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 11:45:11 AM »
Sounds like you might want to change your methods, but don't ask me to what.  My studying gained me nothing.

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 12:00:56 PM »
why are you using barrons?  You better get yourself some real LSATs or you will get eaten alive! as for prep books i prefer Nova and the LG Bible.

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 01:31:50 PM »
Sadly, the Barrons book was one of the worst that I used (avoid Arco, too).

I strongly second nathanielmark's comments.

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 02:42:40 PM »
I've been through the princeton review book.  i have 15 real lsats (i've taken 3 full so far).  I have the bible on its way from amazon.  i'm looking at as many different resources as i can.  i'm just wondering, as you went along, when you first started to feel or see real progress.  maybe this is dumb question i'm asking.  i'm just curious because i'm a little frustrated.

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 03:12:26 PM »
Boy, do I know how you feel.  I went along for two months and a couple of study guides and a bunch of prep tests and made no improvement.  Suddenly I popped up 7-8 points over a few days.  I guess it kicks in at different times for people.  But, point is, keep plugging away.  I sure am!
Good luck! ;D

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 03:23:06 PM »
I have seen real improvement in games.  i went thru the LG Bible, and took about 10 real LSATs before i realized a coherant approach to the varying games sections.  i seem to be getting around 6 wrong (average) per LG section, which is great for me.

i have seen very modest improvements for LR, but my timing has gotten very good with them.  RC also, not much in the way of questions, but timing has really gotten better.  i was pretty good at the LR/RC stuff off the bat.   

i dont know what to tell you other then my overall improvements have been very subtle.  my diag LSAT was a 162, my most recent was 167, i think 171 would probably be about the max for me on my best day.  ive done better then that, but only on older tests and i dont think they match up well to the newer ones.

some people may disagree, but i am of the school who believe that LSAT performance is primarily dictated by ability.  So, even the best preperation can only take you to a score within personal limits. 

I've been through the princeton review book.  i have 15 real lsats (i've taken 3 full so far).  I have the bible on its way from amazon.  i'm looking at as many different resources as i can.  i'm just wondering, as you went along, when you first started to feel or see real progress.  maybe this is dumb question i'm asking.  i'm just curious because i'm a little frustrated.

M2

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 03:34:45 PM »
Nathaniel I definitely disagree...

So what if you had 1 years time to study for the lsat. you didn't have to work, and had no other responsibilities. dont you think that you could master all the concepts systematically  and end up with a 180 or at least close to it?

jgomez

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 03:41:41 PM »
i also believe what Nathanielmark is referring to about, in regards to lsat being dictated by personal ability. i mean, i studied and studied and studied like the original poster, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it.  like as if my brain didn't work the way the lsat people did.  that said, i must NOT have much ability since I only got a 151.  Lol!

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 03:43:22 PM »
damn.  nova's prep book is the only one i havent looked at.  its worth going out and getting?  i just started barrons, after working through PR.  am i seriously wasting time with the barrons book?