Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: retaking lsat for the third time  (Read 1134 times)

lawguru

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
retaking lsat for the third time
« on: December 24, 2004, 01:15:15 PM »
is it not an option/a viable option to take the lsat three times?
even if there is a big score improvement each time around?

I took the lsat a few years ago without much practice and did a sloppy job.  I retook it and got an 8 point increase.  I still want to improve and get a better score (i.e. at least above a 170).  Would law schools look poorly on that??

hocuspocus

• View Profile
Re: retaking lsat for the third time
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 01:21:40 PM »
They won't look poorly on it if your score goes up another 8 points, but it's almost statisically impossible that it will, especially if you're already scoring significantly above average.  If you're confident you can improve, go for it.  It really depends exactly how low you started from.  There are very few people who score well under 160 on a real test who then magically score above 170.  Preparation can only do so much.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 09:57:42 PM »
At least one of the deans quoted in Montauk's book says that if there is a discrepancy between 2 LSAT scores it would be helpful if the applicant took the test a 3rd time to indicate which was more accurate score.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 10:23:34 PM »
How long ago did you take the LSAT for the first time?  Has your score expired yet?  If so then that would be helpful to you.

mcleod13

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 10:17:55 AM »
I think it depends on what school you apply to. I know of a couple schools that just look at the higher score and the lower doesn't matter. An this is directly from the dean and the director of admissions.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 11:29:51 AM »
Don't LSAT scores expire after 3 years?  Maybe you won't even have to use that one.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 12:06:18 PM »
Don't LSAT scores expire after 3 years?  Maybe you won't even have to use that one.

I don't know that they ever expire from LSAC's perspective - I think it's totally up to each school to decide.  However, LSAC does say that you can only take the LSAT three times in any three year period, unless you provide written documentation from a law school that requires you to take it a 4th time because all of your previous scores are too old for them.

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 12:17:23 PM »

LSAT results stay on your official LSAC record for 5 years.  Some schools ignore any scores older than 3 years.

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 12:23:05 PM »
is it not an option/a viable option to take the lsat three times?
even if there is a big score improvement each time around?

I took the lsat a few years ago without much practice and did a sloppy job.  I retook it and got an 8 point increase.  I still want to improve and get a better score (i.e. at least above a 170).  Would law schools look poorly on that??

I had a similar situation.  I first took LSAT in Dec 1999 while on a short break from an overseas work assignment and scored 152 without prep.  I next took in Feb 04 and had a bad day and scored 158.  I retook October 04 and go 166. 

My latest score has created many admissions opportunities that did not exist for me with a 158.  If you're confident, based on practice test performance, that you can exceed your last score, I say go for it.  If you improve significantly, you can find compelling ways to explain away the lower scores.

lawguru

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 03:59:48 AM »
is it even worth explaining?
What am i supposed to say? that i didn't prep enough?
I wonder if the scores would be sufficient to prove my capabilities...