Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When should I take the LSAT?  (Read 236 times)

purplebird

• View Profile
When should I take the LSAT?
« on: December 24, 2004, 01:02:38 PM »
I'm a college senior who is taking a year or two off before applying to LS so there's no real rush for me to take the LSAT. But I had prepped to take the test in December and chickened out at the last minute. Now I'm debating whether I should try to take it in February or wait. I've done a lot of studying so I think I could pull it together. But I feel like there's no big rush and I don't know that I'll be 100% ready right away. I hear the Feb curve is better though. So should I wait or take it in Feb?

hocuspocus

• View Profile
Re: When should I take the LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »
If you're ready, take the test ASAP.  Procrastinating will not magically raise your score.  In fact, time away from college could very well lower your score, unless you keep studying, taking practice tests, etc.

Another key point - if you take in Feb and don't do as well as you want, you can then retake it in a year or two, and if there's a significant difference in your score, you can make a valid claim on your apps that only the higher one should be considered.  The longer the time gap between the tests, the more valid that claim would be.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
Re: When should I take the LSAT?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 10:22:22 PM »
Here's the problem with taking the Feb. test, especially if it turns out that you're unhappy with your score:  you're never gonna figure out what you did wrong.  They don't release a copy of the February test so while you'll know which sections you did well on and which you didn't, you can't figure out if you got that question was really hard right or wrong.  So in terms of studying potential for retaking it, the February test kinda sucks. 

It may be true that the curve in Feb. is better, but honestly, if you're prepared and consistently scoring well on your practice tests then there's no reason not to just take the LSAT whenever you want regardless of how you feel the curve is going to be.  If you're scoring well on the practice tests, how much more could a tiny bit better of a curve really do to help you?