Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Briefing cases for class  (Read 3184 times)

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
Re: Briefing cases for class
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 12:58:12 PM »
I think it's mostly geared toward briefing for class, although I don't have it with me so I can't check. But he explains that briefing is useful both for class and as an exercise to help you understand the reasoning judges use in forming their opinions. I'm not sure how "real" briefing (not for class) would be much different.

jgruber

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 12:59:37 PM »
I think it's mostly geared toward briefing for class, although I don't have it with me so I can't check. But he explains that briefing is useful both for class and as an exercise to help you understand the reasoning judges use in forming their opinions. I'm not sure how "real" briefing (not for class) would be much different.

Does Planet Law School recommend this book?

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 01:18:38 PM »
yep.

jgruber

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 01:39:18 PM »
yep.

Aha!  My memory does work, at least part of the time.  What's a reasonable price on this book?  I think I will get one.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 01:45:57 PM »
list price seems to be $23 which seems like a lot, it's only like 130 pages, but I can't find it anywhere for cheaper than that.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 01:55:55 PM »
I've heard from current 1L's that briefing cases is really unneccesary.  At the most, you should brief cases the first month of so of school, to get used to analyzing cases.  Once you can read a case effectivly, you won't need to brief.  Personally, I've done a few briefs in Ugrad, and I found them to be useful for learning how to read cases, but uneccsary after doing 2 or 3 cases. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 02:04:28 PM »
list price seems to be $23 which seems like a lot, it's only like 130 pages, but I can't find it anywhere for cheaper than that.

barristerbooks.com has it for around $23, and I haven't found it cheaper than that. However, you might want to see if you can check it out from your law library over the summer. I don't know if they will let you, but it is worth a shot.

I guess I am just a little excited and can't wait to start school. I've heard the horror stories, but I'm still anxious ...
Sometimes we must interfere. When human [...] dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must-at that moment-become the center of the universe."
- Wiesel

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »
I've heard from current 1L's that briefing cases is really unneccesary.  At the most, you should brief cases the first month of so of school, to get used to analyzing cases.  Once you can read a case effectivly, you won't need to brief.  Personally, I've done a few briefs in Ugrad, and I found them to be useful for learning how to read cases, but uneccsary after doing 2 or 3 cases. . .

This runs contrary to Law School Confidential and others.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 02:11:22 PM »

This runs contrary to Law School Confidential and others.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

was surprised to hear this too.  But I asked a few students at NYU and CLS and the unanamous response was that people don't really brief cases.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2004, 02:14:25 PM »
LS Confidential seems to advocate full-briefing at first, and then just making brief-like notations in your reading as soon as you think you're ready, doesn't it? Isn't that the highlighting method?
Sometimes we must interfere. When human [...] dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must-at that moment-become the center of the universe."
- Wiesel