Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Briefing cases for class  (Read 3187 times)

jgruber

Briefing cases for class
« on: April 26, 2004, 11:13:42 AM »
I've read Law School Confidential and some other discussions of law school and they talk a lot about briefing cases.

That made me think that it might make sense for me to learn and practice briefing cases over the summer.

Wudya think?

Louder Than Bombs

Re: Briefing cases for class
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 11:20:16 AM »
I've read Law School Confidential and some other discussions of law school and they talk a lot about briefing cases.

That made me think that it might make sense for me to learn and practice briefing cases over the summer.

Wudya think?

I doubt it could hurt, unless you misunderstand the concept/method and develop some bad habits...

Personally, I think 1L is going to be completely different from just about any experience the majority of us have had in our lives, so pre-1L prep will most likely be beneficial in terms of easing the transition.

Chris

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 11:31:32 AM »
They made it sound like an essential skill.

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 12:16:47 PM »
Maybe we could set up a thread or subject that's like the LSAT studying one? That way, we could post briefs for help from others, or maybe even have a few of the current law students present some hypotheticals to us ... Or am I making this way too much work for the summer?
Sometimes we must interfere. When human [...] dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must-at that moment-become the center of the universe."
- Wiesel

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 12:22:35 PM »
There are those who argue that the briefing method for classes is artificial, only of use for classes.

I'm fishing for some opinions on that, too.

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 12:26:27 PM »
Well, even if it is only for use in classes, I guess we will still have to learn to play the game so we can survive being 1L's.
Sometimes we must interfere. When human [...] dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must-at that moment-become the center of the universe."
- Wiesel

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 12:50:24 PM »
The book "learning legal reasoning" by Delaney is GREAT for learning to brief cases. I'm almost done working through it and found it very useful.

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 12:51:04 PM »
Well, even if it is only for use in classes, I guess we will still have to learn to play the game so we can survive being 1L's.

In some circles that is a matter of debate.

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 12:52:38 PM »
The book "learning legal reasoning" by Delaney is GREAT for learning to brief cases. I'm almost done working through it and found it very useful.

I just ordered it. Glad to hear the recommendation ...
- Wiesel

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 12:54:16 PM »

Does it discuss briefing for class or briefing for legal use or are they the same or?  ?  ?