Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 7 point improvement...addendum?  (Read 1437 times)

sophia_bella

• View Profile
Re: 7 point improvement...addendum?
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2004, 07:03:38 AM »
Franz, you brought up the reasons for why I wanted to write an addendum. It's a difficult choice because I can see how it could work both to my advantage and disadvantage. I think for the most part though, the schools I am applying to average the two scores regardless of the score increase. I copied and pasted this from the UCLA application:

"If applicable, please describe any circumstances that negatively affected the extent to which your academic record or standardized test scores reflects your ability to succeed in law school."

Generally, I think I understand what you guys are saying about the explanation vs. excuse thing. So would it be safe to say that it is not a good idea to mention stess, illness, family emergency, etc. but rather explain the score difference by discussing what I did differently to study for the second exam (is that what you meant by a "good reason/explanation")? Because I had thought about doing this, but the problem is I think my first score was a result of basic anxiety, and not lack of preparation. So I was thinking that if I did mention a change in study habits, the ad coms could look down upon that because they would think that I went into the first test unprepared. What do you guys think?

bluetooth

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2004, 08:35:22 AM »
I think my first score was a result of basic anxiety, and not lack of preparation.

I think you can tell them the truth. Who is not nervous when taking the LSAT? Your second score has proved that you can handle the anxiety.

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2004, 12:29:16 PM »
I would definitely recommend an addendum for anyone who has scores that vary by 5 points or more.  You need to build the strongest case possible as to why your highest score is most valid. 

lazybum

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 04:02:11 PM »
I had an eight point difference in my scores.  I either checked the websites of each and every school to which I applied, spoke to a rep at the law school forum, or called each admissions office.  All except one of them said to include an addendum.  A couple of them actually said, "Even if the score increase was because you were nervous or sleepy the first time, we want to know that."  The general gist of it was exactly what Franz said... they don't want to wonder what was up.  They said they have greater concern about an applicant who does not explain because it leaves them drawing a big question mark.  They said that they have too many applications to fool around with answering every big question mark they come across.  The 'big question mark' thing is actually how one of them answered me when I called :) 

Oh and the one that said not to include it said not to bother only because they'd take the higher score no matter what. 

But basically, if you're in doubt- call the school.

sophia_bella

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 06:43:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I think I will write a brief addendum and tell them what happened. I just have one more question for you guys (ok, actually 2 ;))...do you think one paragraph is sufficient, and is it a good idea to let them know that I was averaging much higher (166-172) on my practice exams?

P.S.~Savannah I LOVE your avatar!

lazybum

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 11:00:01 AM »
Thanks re: the avatar  ;)

As far as writing only a paragraph goes--- if that's all it takes to explain, then that's all I'd write.  Mine was two paragraphs or so (about the length of a third or half of a page).  Most of the schools did mention that communicating succinctly in an addendum (and not wasting their time) would go a long way with them. 

Then, in regards to whether you should mention averaging much higher numbers... I have no idea!  :/ 

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 05:43:15 PM »
I scored 10 points higher, i included an addendum.  Was ballsy enough to say id prove it on the Feb test if they needed additional proof of which score was more accurate.

Matt

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 05:46:01 PM »
matt, what reason did you give in your addendum?

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 05:49:31 PM »
5 hour drive to lethbridge the morning before (left edmonton at 2am)  and a head cold where my nose sniffled to the point that it was dripping during the exam, and that the proctor forgot to call time (she was only late by a minute but still).  Plus overwhelming anxiety.

Matt

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 05:50:23 PM »
The thing is, i didnt need to write it...i just felt like it.  My average of 163 (and my gpa is 3.755 applying too w00t) will get me into my school EASILY.  I just felt like having my score reported higher for an ego thing.

matt