Law School Discussion

7 point improvement...addendum?

7 point improvement...addendum?
« on: December 24, 2004, 01:07:41 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and I need some advice. I'm currently applying to law schools (USC, Boalt, Davis, Hastings, Loyola, Pepperdine, top choice: UCLA). I have a 3.55, and I took the LSATs in Oct. and was SHOCKED when I received my score of 157. I had taken several practice exams and had consistently scored in the mid to high 160s. I even broke 170 on the two exams I had taken prior to the Oct. test. So I ended up retaking, and I got a 164 on the December exam. Seeing that I have a slim chance at most of these schools with my numbers, would it be to my advantage to write an addendum? I REALLY want to go to UCLA, (I'm almost positive I won't get in at this point) but I am hesitant because I think that the adcoms must have heard it all by now and it might seem a little desperate? Does anyone have some advice...I would really appreciate it!!!!
Thanks, Sophia

Re: 7 point improvement...addendum?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 01:09:14 AM »
what reason would you give law schools to consider only the highest score?

kralf

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 01:26:03 AM »

are you Korean?

bluetooth

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 01:29:44 AM »
Do you know why you improved?

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 01:55:58 AM »
Honestly, the only reason I did so poorly the first time around was that I was sooooo nervous and I think I probably got like 2 hrs of sleep the night before. On the day of the test, I was super paranoid and ended up spending way too much time on the beginning of each section so I basically had to rush through the last few questions (those are the ones I ended up missing the most). Also, rc was always my strongest section (usually miss 1-3), but the rc on that test just killed me and I ended up  missing 10. The second time around, I just tried to relax more and pace myself better. As for studying, I looked over my old practice tests...nothing major. Not very convincing for an addendum, I know :(. I was just planning on letting them know that I  did not get much sleep the night before (stress/sickness), and that I had averaged much higher on my practice exams. Is this a bad idea? Thanks everyone!

P.S.~No Kralf, I'm not Korean!

jkang2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 10:19:40 PM »

are you Korean?

What the hell does that mean????

jkang2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »
Honestly, the only reason I did so poorly the first time around was that I was sooooo nervous and I think I probably got like 2 hrs of sleep the night before. On the day of the test, I was super paranoid and ended up spending way too much time on the beginning of each section so I basically had to rush through the last few questions (those are the ones I ended up missing the most). Also, rc was always my strongest section (usually miss 1-3), but the rc on that test just killed me and I ended up  missing 10. The second time around, I just tried to relax more and pace myself better. As for studying, I looked over my old practice tests...nothing major. Not very convincing for an addendum, I know :(. I was just planning on letting them know that I  did not get much sleep the night before (stress/sickness), and that I had averaged much higher on my practice exams. Is this a bad idea? Thanks everyone!

P.S.~No Kralf, I'm not Korean!

No, I don't think that is a good idea.  But I have a plan for you.  Go to GOOGLE AND type "PERSONAL STATEMENT LAW SCHOOL"  I think many websites advise you not to give "excuses" for your score.  This includes taking time to expatiate the testing center psychological anxiety and explaining why you did so poorly on games but nailed the RC..etec...etc...  Here is what you should do.  Write an addendum explaining what you did to make that 7 point improvement.   By the way Sophia, what college are you from????

TLFKARG

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 10:27:40 PM »
i think it's tempting to go in addendum overload drive when you are applying because you want to explain every little thing that did or may have gone wrong for you during the application process.  i don't think it's necessary, especially when the addendum would be regarding something positive, like a significant LSAT improvement.  Send in your application, don't overload the ad coms with superfluous reading and allow them to make the necessary inferences.  i think it's always best to maintain a positive tone in your application and only explain those things which are critical -- such as a history of poor performance on standardized tests as a result of a learning disability, etc.  if you attempt to make excuses like, oh, i was sick, i was sleepy, my cat died you risk sounding whiny and unprofessional.  many people experience anxiety before the lsat.  it's normal and totally unimpressive as a justification for a low score.  i wouldn't write this addendum if i were you.  that is, however my opinion, and you should hear arguments for and agaisnt before you make a decision on the merits.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 01:06:20 AM »
Thanks for your help guys. RuskieGirl like you said, it's soooo tempting to want to justify every little flaw in your application. The first time I took a practice LSAT I scored a 153. But after some studying I was averaging between 166-172. So I know a 157 is not an accurate measure of my abilities...I just don't know how to prove it to the ad coms. But you basically discussed all my doubts for writing an addendum in your post. It's just that I've heard that it is best to explain a discrepancy in test scores and I don't know if a 7 point improvement is significant enough to warrant an explanation (especially with an excuse they've probably heard a million times by now). BUT...if anyone else has any ideas/suggestions I would REALLY appreciate your input!

foxnewssucks

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2004, 12:30:05 PM »
it really just depends on if you have a good reason or not.  i think that the adcoms want to hear why there was a 7 point difference, 7 points is significant.  If it was 3 or less, I wouldnt bother.

if i were you, i would do some research into the individual schools and see what they say.  on many of the websites they will explicitly state, (regarding multiple LSAT scores), "please tell us why the higher score is a better indicator of your abilities", or "we are likely to take the higher score if there is a good reason to".  This is for the schools that take the highest or take it under certain condtions, like a 7 point increase.  Also, even if schools average, they still see the higher score and the higher score will intrigue them.  If there are two applicants, one with a 160 and 170 and the other person with a 165, both have the same score when averaged, but if there is some sort of valid reason for the lower score, and the appicant proved themself with a +10 on the next test, even with both sitting at 165, the adcoms will probably give the edge to the split score in my opinion. 

you do not want to make excuses for everything on your apps, but adcoms also dont want to sit there and wonder WHY the person had a 7 point jump, or WHY they had one semester early on with a 1.5 GPA and 3.5 the rest of the time.  Make their job easy and don't have them guess or wonder.