Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT retest statistics?  (Read 692 times)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
LSAT retest statistics?
« on: December 24, 2004, 01:58:28 AM »
At some point after I got my October score, I could have sworn I saw some exact LSAC statistics along the lines of:

5000 people got your score

Of those 5000, 200 retested

Of those 200:

50 did worse
25 did the same
125 did better

I thought I got this data from LSAC, but I can't find it anywhere on their Web site now.  I have no idea who provided it or where I saw it a couple months ago, but I don't think I dreamed it.  I am positive I that this information exists and I stumbled across it somehow.  I want to find it again and see how many people retested with my score and what percentile did better.  Does anybody know what I'm talking about, or where I can find these numbers?

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: LSAT retest statistics?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 02:36:25 AM »
I know that LSAC has data on retests; I think it may be in the LSAT/LSDAS application book. It may also be on the website.
There is a table listing how many people retested, % who improved, declined..., the average change in LSAT score. This data is listed for each original LSAT score.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

jayhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 05:44:11 AM »
here is the link for 2002-03.  i don't know if there is a more recent one available or not.

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/additional-info/lsat-repeater-data.asp

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 12:40:13 PM »
here is the link for 2002-03.  i don't know if there is a more recent one available or not.

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/additional-info/lsat-repeater-data.asp

Keep rockin' that chalk, jayhawk!  Thanks :)  I spent an hour looking for this on LSAC last night and couldn't find it.

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 12:50:08 PM »
Burgh - congrats on the improvement, that's a pretty ballsy retake.

Which brings me to my next point - How were you so confident about the retake?  I missed quite a few LR, which never happens, and it resulted in a sub-par score.  How would you quantify the marginal value of LSAT points in situations like ours?  I'm going to be applying with a 3.2/172, and I would really like to go to a UPENN, UVA, NU type school.  I see in my LSAT bracket that it's a wash for improvement probability...Just curious what your thinking was for a retake after a solid score.

hocuspocus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 01:25:38 PM »
If you are scoring in the 99th percentile (171+), you are nuts retaking the exam unless you were ill, hungover, screwed up a game, or didn't finish a section that you usually finish.

I can understand retaking a 169.  172 on the other hand ...

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 02:16:17 PM »
Burgh - congrats on the improvement, that's a pretty ballsy retake.

Which brings me to my next point - How were you so confident about the retake?  I missed quite a few LR, which never happens, and it resulted in a sub-par score.  How would you quantify the marginal value of LSAT points in situations like ours?  I'm going to be applying with a 3.2/172, and I would really like to go to a UPENN, UVA, NU type school.  I see in my LSAT bracket that it's a wash for improvement probability...Just curious what your thinking was for a retake after a solid score.

Thanks Zooker.  My thinking was twofold:

1) I knew I was better than a 169.  It ate me up inside that I had choked when it really counted in October and scored less than I was capable of.  Even if I would have only raised my score 2 or 3 points, I felt like I owed it to myself.

2) 169 is the 97.5th percentile.  About 150,000 LSAT's are administered every year, and 100,000 people apply to ABA law schools.  Let's assume that, with retests, 120,000 individuals take the LSAT every year and the top 100,000 end up applying to law school.  With a 169, 3,000 people will have better LSAT scores than me.  By raising my average to 172 (99.0th percentile), only 1,200 people will have better scores.  And for the few schools that consider only my highest score, I will have a 174 (99.5th percentile) which means only 600 people did better.  The T14 only had room for about 4,500 students last year.  In the T20, there was room for about 7,000 and the T30 had room for 8,700.  Now let's consider my GPA, which is absolutely horrible.  I like my chances of getting into the T14, T20, or T30 much better when my LSAT score competes against only 600 or 1,200 others instead of 3,000.  By raising my LSAT score 3 or 5 points, I cut the number of people I'm competing against (Based soley on LSAT) in half or by 75%.