Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Double Major ?  (Read 657 times)

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
Double Major ?
« on: December 23, 2004, 09:06:22 PM »
Do you guys think that I need to get a rec from a professor in both of my majors?  Would it look bad to have two from one and none from the other?  I plan to get a third from a judge that I worked for in her private practice for two summers. 

PS I know it's a bit late, I'm not applying this cycle.

<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

jaxon

Re: Double Major ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 01:18:07 AM »
not at all... i think an ideal strategy is to get 1 LOR from a prof (dept head if possible) and another from an employer or co-worker who can come across as a psudo boss if you are out working (or a 2nd from a prof if you are not working)... and a 3rd from some type of EC related activity....

i would not sweat getting from each major... nobody is going to care

maximumtennis82

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 02:47:41 AM »
Hmm...I double majored (philosophy/psychology) from umich and have had success beyond what I'd anticipated re: admissions, so here are my thoughts (and the thoughts of all the applying to law school books I've perused):  If one of the majors was much more central to your undergrad than the other (i.e. you wrote a thesis in it, were involved in activities within the field), then it's definitely acceptable to have your PS/LORs reflect that. 

However, I would think you are short-changing yourself by not going for the more diverse approach.  Adcomms have stereotypes about the strengths/weaknesses of all the different majors out there...having a background in two different topics, therefore, adds to your overall strength and helps cancel out your perceived major-related weaknesses.  In my case, I wanted my phil recs to show that I have solid writing/analytic/argumentative skills and my psych rec to establish that I was personable, able to articulate myself in presentations, and work in groups (flaws typically ascribed to philosophy students).  I definitely focused more on my phil degree, so had 2 recs from it, 1 from a psych prof, and a final one (for schools that allow 4) from my academic advisor.

BUT, all of this is moot if you don't think you have a prof in your 2nd major that knows you well enough to write a solid recommendation.  If you have two profs that you think would be on par, go for diversity.  Otherwise, stick to the ones that will be of highest quality (although, perhaps, suggest that the two profs focus on different aspects of your awesome-student-ness).

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 01:57:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  Anyone else have any thoughts?  If it helps, I started as history and added english as my double during my soph year.

<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

BAFF213

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 02:20:58 PM »
I double majored (philosophy/psychology) from umich and have had success beyond what I'd anticipated re: admissions

BEYOND WHAT YOU ANTICIPATED ??? LOOK AT YOUR NUMBERS!!!

maximumtennis82

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 02:28:59 PM »
I double majored (philosophy/psychology) from umich and have had success beyond what I'd anticipated re: admissions

BEYOND WHAT YOU ANTICIPATED ??? LOOK AT YOUR NUMBERS!!!

I anticipated getting into Chicago/NYU/Columbia...but did not feel as though HSY were anything close to a lock.  Getting into two is  (with the third pending) is  :o to me.  Not to mention getting admits this early in the season (applied mid-november).