Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you get what you put in?  (Read 1718 times)

thechoson

Do you get what you put in?
« on: April 26, 2004, 12:56:26 AM »
Ok, mostly in college, if you study harder, you get good grades.  AT least that was the way for me and for most of my friends.
Is this true for law school, too? Or if you just don't have it, can you study all day and all night and still get Cs or Ds or Fs?  Remember Kevin from the Paper Chase? Staying up till 3 in the morning every day and he just couldn't get it? Are some people doomed to be like that?  Or will most students get what the put in, in terms of grades?

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do you get what you put in?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 01:00:32 AM »
Everyone works hard during 1L so there isn't a correlation between how much you work and what kinds of grades you get.  Among my 1L friends the hardest workers got very good grades and very poor grades.  In 2L and 3L though people don't study near as much so studying will definitely correlate to grades. 

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 01:10:01 AM »
That is rather disturbing. I could study my ass of 1st year, and I could still suck ass.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 09:50:39 AM »
That is rather disturbing. I could study my ass of 1st year, and I could still suck ass.

No you would not suck ass since you just worked it off and it is no longer available.   :)

I believe that you would gain from the extra work, if the extra work is properly directed.  The question of what direction to work your ass off seems to have many many answers.  Hence, books like Planet Law School.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 09:52:17 AM »
I think that a lot of it has to do with study methods. The way people organize information into notes/outlines seems to be a huge factor in how you do.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Skippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 10:59:23 AM »
I've heard that everyone studies in law school, but not everyone takes it as seriously as others.  So if you're the guy who lives in the library, you're more than likely going to be above the average, if not near the top. 

I know that for some schools, in order to get a D or an F, you basically have to skip tests or not show up. 

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 11:21:05 AM »
I disagree.  Everyone in my section in 1L studied very hard.  In fact, one of my classmates was always at the library and still got very poor grades.  During 2L and 3L things are very different. 

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »
From what I have read, it seems those that are successful in 1L understand that sheer memorization won't get you anywhere.  The law is about application to new situations.  In other words, every case in a snowflake.  The successful student can extrapolate and apply.  That is extremely different from undergrad which is all about memorization and very little application...depending on your major. 

I think this change from undergrad to law school is what some people struggle w/.  If you use the same techniques, you could fail.  If you read a fact pattern, and could tell your client not only what laws/past cases would apply but what would actually happen...then you can be successful.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 11:36:06 AM »
I think this change from undergrad to law school is what some people struggle w/.  If you use the same techniques, you could fail.  If you read a fact pattern, and could tell your client not only what laws/past cases would apply but what would actually happen...then you can be successful.

I should have no trouble then, since I have no technique.

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 12:24:14 PM »
Think analytically