Law School Discussion

Rutgers Law -- Camden v. Newark

Rutgers Law -- Camden v. Newark
« on: April 25, 2004, 04:53:28 PM »
Does anyone know what the difference between each location is?  is one of them better or nicer or more respected than the other?  i know camden is really close to philly which seems cool to me.  but then again newark is close to nyc?  are both campuses urban?  which city is nicer?  what is everyone's impression of Rutgers Law?  Is it a good state school law education?

Re: Rutgers Law -- Camden v. Newark
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 04:56:13 PM »
also does one have a higher median lsat and gpa than the other?  what are the median lsat and gpa for these schools?  does one have a nicer campus / facilities than the other?

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 06:37:52 PM »
I was also thinking about which Rutgers would be better.  I have been waitlisted at Camden and I have not heard yet from Newark.  From what I hear, Camden is absolutely bad.   Everyone who has commented on Camden has shared this feeling, but it is close to Philly.  Newark is not the nicest place in the country either, but may be a bit nicer than camden.  It is pretty easy to get in to NYC on public transportation as well.  I think both of them, however, have a strong academic reputation.  I wonder if the lower median LSAT at Newark may be related to the two admissions options they offer.  The first being a numbers based admissions criteria and the second being life experience.  I chose the latter option as my LSAT score is pretty low.  I don't think you can beat NJ state tuition either!  I am not a resident but everyone is considered for residency after the first year.

Good luck on your decision! 

NerdyLaw

• Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 08:32:52 PM »
Hey sailme - I applied to Newark too and have also NOT heard back from them yet (fingers crossed). My numbers are only a little better than yours but I got dinged at Seton Hall (not sure what I did wrong there). Let me know when you hear from RU.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 08:56:41 PM »
I spoke to someone in the Rutgers office last week and they said that they would be starting the review process again this week, but it may be 3-4 weeks to get the final decision.  I was a little surprised because all of the other mailings I have received from the two came at the same time.

NerdyLaw

• Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 07:06:25 AM »
I was told about and 4 weeks too. I can't believe any school is taking this long  ::)

IMHO I think that this is a bad sign for us. Our LSATs are not stellar and being at the bottom of the pile is probably not going to help us. Any thoughts on this?

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 07:26:40 AM »
I grew up in south Jersey about 15 miles from Camden.  It always had a reputation as a very bad place.

The last view I had of Camden was leaving to go to the Philly airport and it literally looked like a war zone.  this was several years ago and it was a limited perspective, but Camden is a place where you have to be careful.

Newark.  What can you say about Newark?  Not a nice place either; I doubt it is any better than Camden.

If you want to pick a school for a nice surrounding area, look elsewhere.

NerdyLaw

• Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 07:50:27 AM »
I was in Camden for a concert this summer. "War Zone" would definately be an apt description for the place. Newark is much nicer (although not wonderful) but the law building is brand new there.

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 07:51:44 AM »
I was in Camden for a concert this summer. "War Zone" would definately be an apt description for the place. Newark is much nicer (although not wonderful) but the law building is brand new there.

Are we talking about the schools or the cities?

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 09:01:06 AM »
They are both always identical in the rankings, though Camden seems to have higher median LSAT/GPA scores for some reason.  If it were my pick, I'd go with Newark.  Camden, like someone said, is a "war zone".  I heard Newark is okay, and it's very close to New York City.  That might afford you better employment opportunities than being further south in Jersey.