Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Errors In LSAT Questions  (Read 1065 times)

Louder Than Bombs

Errors In LSAT Questions
« on: April 25, 2004, 09:31:49 AM »
Yesterday I was proctoring an LSAT for my Kaplan class. To keep busy while the class was working, I decided to try some of the games in the section they were working on. I found an error in the third question of the game, and I wonder what is the average number of errors per test. I would be upset if I got a misleading question incorrect.

The question I am referring is the third question in the first game in section 1 of PrepTest 30...the game about the bakery that delivers loaves of bread.

A bakery is delivering a fixed number of loaves of bread, and these loaves have two characteristics...each is either rye, oatmeal, or wheat, and either sliced or unsliced.

One of the rules states that, "If two or more of the loaves are unsliced, then at least one of the unsliced loaves is rye"...Okay, so the only way you can have no unsliced rye loaves is if there is only one unsliced loaf or no unsliced loaves in the delivery.

Question 3 asks 'which of the following cannot be true', and answer choice (A) reads 'the only unsliced loaves are oatmeal loaves'...this is not the credited resoponse. LSAC's reasoning is that the delivery could contain only one unsliced loaf, and that loaf could be oatmeal.

However, using the term 'loaves' in the question implies more than one loaf. In that case, (A) cannot be true. It is incorrect to say, 'I only have one unsliced oatmeal loaves in this delivery'.

One could ask the question, 'How many unsliced loaves are in this delivery' if they had not seen the delivery yet, and someone else could answer 'One', but we must assume that for the purposes of this question we are asking a question about a concrete delivery where the number and type of loaves is known. In any case, it's very poorly worded, and very misleading at the least.

Chris