Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU vs. Northeastern  (Read 2905 times)

rennyzog

• View Profile
    • Email
BU vs. Northeastern
« on: April 24, 2004, 11:44:11 PM »
I'm struggling with a decision between BU and Northeastern (I'd probably prefer Fordham, but I'm waitlisted). BU has the higher rankings, but Northeastern's co-op program intrigues me - it'd be great to try different things out. BUT, I hear NE reputation doesn't carry far. BUT, I hear that BU is an unfriendly environment. Any comments? Both offered about the same amount of money.

Lawschool2005

Re: BU vs. Northeastern
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 01:10:01 AM »
BU has a much better REP!! go there

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 09:15:21 AM »
You can get an excellent education at either school.  NEU's co-op program is great to gain practical experience and make connections.  BU on the other hand is a much more traditional education.  I've heard NEU is very laid-back and that people are not very competitive. It sort of depends which of these is more appealing to you--traditional or off-beat. Both schools have a good rep in the Boston area, though a BU degree might carry farther outside Boston. It also depends what kind of law you want to practice. NEU is awesome for public interest work and you could get a public interest job probably anywhere on the east coast with a degree from there...but, BU has way higher starting salaries and is better for "biglaw" or regular law firm work.

I'm glad you'll be joining me in Boston, it's the best city ever!  ;D

abmarz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 07:39:17 PM »
No question, go to BU. It's a top 25 school.

jhport12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 09:26:58 PM »
The difference between BU and Northeastern is pretty huge.  While Northeastern's Coop program gives it an edge compared to other tier-3 law schools, to make the argument that it is competitive with a tier-1 law school is honestly ridiculous.

If you just want to be a random lawyer in New England and want to experiment through the Coops to really know what law interests you, then NUSL is a fine choice.  But if you have an ounce of ambition (even half an ounce), then you would be a fool not to go to BUSL.  That's the simple truth, and I say this as someone whose top choice is Northeastern (I'm on the waitlist right now).

weezyramo

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 11:36:57 PM »
i kinda of disagree and maybe that is becuase i am headed to Northeastern next year.  Anyways here is my take.  My contention is that the great difference between the two schools is in National job placement. A BU law degree is much more powerful in markets such as NY, Chicago, and Cali. In Boston however, I believe that both schools give students good job placement and I dont think there is that large of a difference between the two institutions.

Skippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 11:03:03 AM »
BU all the way.  You can't say that you're not going to a school because the people are mean there.  This is about your future, and 3 years of a relatively unpleasant experience shouldn't keep you from having better opportunities career-wise for a long time.  Law school is unpleasant for a lot of people...might as well make it pleasant afterwards =P

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 11:31:28 AM »
By the way, after my first year at Suffolk I'm hoping to transfer to BU or BC. After Harvard, BU and BC are pretty much the places to go for a legal education in Boston. The universities and the law schools are widely known and respected. I try not to worry too much about whether people there will be friendly or not especially because I am more concerned about getting an education, and I already have friends.

weezyramo

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 02:44:30 PM »
good luck marista99! its gonna be a difficult task transferring froun a tier 4 school to a top 25.
Anyways, if your at the top of your class at Suffolk will there be any need to trasfer? From what I have heard being at the top of your class at pretty much any school gives you an abundant of opportunities.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 02:52:36 PM »
I keep hearing different things about that--that you can get a great job from the top of your tier 4 class, versus that you are going to be unemployed forever no matter how well you do in your tier 4. I guess it depends; but I want to give myself the best chance possible for a good career.