Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Planet Law School II (PLS)  (Read 2440 times)

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Planet Law School II (PLS)
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 10:45:54 PM »
I think much of the stuff in PLSII is somewhat obvious. Take the way that you are taught the law for example; I think it is very clear that several tests in a semester where you actually get some feedback would be better than no feedback and only one test per semester. This type of system allows the student to improve and evolve in his legal thinking, etc. A one test system where people don't even get comments on their exams seems like it would only lead to confusion for students. They may know they are not getting it, but without being helped to understand what they did not get they seem doomed to merely repeat the mistakes of the past. It certainly doesn't seem like the best way to teach someone something, and I think it says a lot that no other type of graduate program teaches that way. Grad students get copious feedback about their work. Even medical students, where the entering class is similar to that of a law class, have about 10-16 tests per semester. I think it does come down to laziness for professors. They have a system that favors them rather than their students and why would they want to change that?

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 10:59:17 PM »
PLS is one extreme of the law school book "spectrum". There's also the other extreme--skinny little books that give you essentially no information that is of any use whatsoever and lull you into a false sense of security. PLS freaked me out when I first started reading it because I thought there was no way I'd be able to succeed in law school if it's really this bad.  But I don't think it will be. The most valuable part was the timetables of things to read/study to prepare for law school. I'm not going to be able to do all of the stuff, but I'm doing some of it so that I can have a head start. Couldn't hurt, anyway.

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 11:14:11 PM »
PLS is one extreme of the law school book "spectrum". There's also the other extreme--skinny little books that give you essentially no information that is of any use whatsoever and lull you into a false sense of security. PLS freaked me out when I first started reading it because I thought there was no way I'd be able to succeed in law school if it's really this bad.  But I don't think it will be. The most valuable part was the timetables of things to read/study to prepare for law school. I'm not going to be able to do all of the stuff, but I'm doing some of it so that I can have a head start. Couldn't hurt, anyway.

I agree.
Sometimes we must interfere. When human [...] dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must-at that moment-become the center of the universe."
- Wiesel

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 08:53:55 AM »
People keep on mentioning time-tables in the book (the 3 month one) but I haven't seen this anywhere. Could someone roughly tell me where he puts out a time guideline for the reading materials?

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2004, 11:43:44 AM »
It's at the end of chapter 16.

jgruber

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2004, 03:48:55 PM »
And there are those who say save your strength.  You'll be stressed out enough in LS as it is.  Don't burn out before you get there.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2004, 03:51:34 PM »
I don't think studying a few hours a day will exactly burn me out when I have 4 months of complete free time. I'll be screwing around 80% of the time and studying maybe 20%; sounds relaxing to me. Plus I'll have a big edge on all my fellow classmates.

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2004, 03:52:19 PM »
But doesn't PLS call for more time than that.  The reading list seems to go on forever.

I don't think studying a few hours a day will exactly burn me out when I have 4 months of complete free time. I'll be screwing around 80% of the time and studying maybe 20%; sounds relaxing to me. Plus I'll have a big edge on all my fellow classmates.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2004, 03:52:25 PM »
Marista-thanks.

jgruber

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2004, 06:10:56 PM »
So here's this guy/gal who is advising students anonymously about the evil law schools based on unknown expertise and experience.

What's wrong with this picture?

I can understand why someone would protect their identity, but I have to take advise from someone like this with a big fat grain of salt since I cannot judge their ability to understand the situation and convey that understanding to others.

Or am I just be ridiculous?