Law School Discussion

Planet Law School II (PLS)

DaBoo

• View Profile
Planet Law School II (PLS)
« on: April 24, 2004, 12:47:34 PM »
For those of you who are interested in purchasing Planet Law School II, you can find it on overstock.com for $14.95 ... which is way cheaper than what I paid with my member card at B&N.

Here's the site:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=640380

Also, I just started reading it, and would like to discuss it with others as they read if anyone is interested.

Re: Planet Law School II (PLS)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 06:34:00 PM »
That's where I bought most of my law books. PLSII is the best of them, law school confidential is good, LS for dummies is good, stay away from slaying the dragon, it is written by a lawyers who went to LS after WWII. Not very useful.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 06:36:52 PM »
I'm having my doubta about PLS II.  I've been reading some postings on the Yahoo group and it is so negative.  Bad vibes, dude.

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 06:39:10 PM »
Law school confidential was excellent

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 06:43:40 PM »
Law school confidential was excellent

I read that.  Liked it for the most part, but I will take some advice with a grain of salt.  Unless my understanding of law school changes drastically, I expect I will keep this book handy throughout LS.

DaBoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 06:45:02 PM »
I can see PLSII as negative and, although I enjoyed Law School Confidential, I think much of it was common sense (such as have a good bed and a big desk). However, I really like the sound of the highlighting suggestion in LSC, although I suppose I won't be able to judge its practicality until classes begin.

PLSII should be read cautiously and, hopefully, law school will feel much friendlier than it is portrayed to be in the book. I am only about 50 pages into it, so who knows what will happen. It's not exactly a page-turner, but it's feeding my need for info during the "down" times for this discussion board ...

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 06:46:43 PM »
Well the author and contributors to ls confidential went to really good schools (UPENN I think, though they did have a girl from Suffolk).  But I am guessing their experience would be a tad different.
I know somebody that went to Harvard back in the early 80s, and he said his experience was easier than Undergrad.  He felt no need to study that hard, cause he knew he wasnt' going to be the best in the class, but he didn't have to cause he would have a job.

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 06:54:36 PM »
PLS seems to be saying that law schools are basically defrauding us, because they will not be educating us.  They will subject us to irrelevant topics and methods whose only purpose is to put us in a pressure cooker.  The ones who don't crack get to be lawyers.

The PLS method is to learn what you need to know to get through the initiation rite (LS) and to later be a lawyer.

But I could be completely wrong.

DaBoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 06:59:38 PM »
Ah, well. Hopefully that won't be our experience in law school.  8)

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2004, 07:16:49 PM »
If I thought it was going to be that way, I don't think I'd go.   :(