Law School Discussion

Loyola Law School - Los Angeles

Loyola Law School - Los Angeles
« on: April 23, 2004, 02:39:27 PM »
Can anyone give me some insider inforamation on this school? How are the faculty, students, etc... Is it a very cut throaght environment (i.e. do people share outlines or not, do they hide books, etc)? Are the faulty helpful and accessable?  Does the dean typically know who the students are?  Is career services very helpful? What is the general impression of Loyola by LA firms? Thanks!

Re: Loyola Law School - Los Angeles
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 03:25:59 PM »
Hi Aussie-
I'm going to Loyola in the fall and I can give you a little insight.  First off, I read your other post and saw how disappointed you were with your visit.  I also was not included in the tour.  They do require prospective students to reserve a space in advance, much like other schools, to take a guided tour.  However, the administrators in the admissions office were very helpful and showed me how to guide myself around.  In addition, I met the dean and he was extremely friendly.  He promised to remember my name the next time he sees me and he added that he never forgets a name.  He also teaches a 1L section of Constitutional Law and is supposedly a student favorite.  As far as competitiveness, it appears that Southwestern is more cutthroat.  In your orientation they give the "person to your left, person to your right" speech.  They tell you to look at the person on each side and then tell you that one of them won't be there in a year.  Or maybe YOU won't be there.  Loyola's attrition rate is 5% versus Southwestern's 33%.  Hope that helps...

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 03:26:57 PM »
totally second jfbruin. SW flunks out the bottom third. no ifs or buts.  do you want this added pressure?

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 03:32:08 PM »
jfbruin, whoa, crazy...I didn't know it was like that. I tried to talk to students at southwestern, but they didn't have a ton to say. one guy was a 3rd year and didn't have a job lined up. A few others were 1st years and basically said that they were still trying to figure things out. and, i talked to a totally cool alumni (she graduated in 2003). she despises loyola but said that she'd help me find a job (she has connections) no matter where i attended. i thought that was cool. so far loyola sounds like the winner... =)

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 03:34:44 PM »
I might go to Loyola, too, if they let me in.  Are you from ASU , girlie?  IF you are, can I ask you why you didn't want to go there for law school?

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 03:52:45 PM »
I did attend ASU for undergrad. I got my degree in Sociology and minored in Philosophy. A very small handful of professors impressed me. Many focused on their research and ignored their students. One well known philosopher actually read from a text book every day during class. I didn't learn a thing!  The school was relatively easy. I thought high school was more difficult (I attended a private high school). Anyways, because of this I don't respect the school very much.  This disrespect carries over to the law school. I know it is ranked pretty well, but I can't get past my undergrad experience. Plus it appears that almost anyone can get in to the school. When it came down to it, University of Arizona was the better school, so I applied to UA as my fall back. UA is ranked better and from what I can tell is respected in all areas (medicine, law, undergrad, etc) while ASU is only respected in a few. Oh, last but not least, I don't want to practice law in AZ.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 03:57:12 PM »
Oops, left something out... the new president of ASU (he's been there 2 years I think) is a money grubbing bastard. He could care less about the student body. At this point ASU enrolls about 50k people and he wants to double that so that the school can pull in more money. This means watering down admissions, causing even more parking and housing problems, larger classes, etc. He really doesn't care how it affects the quality of education so long as the school gets more money. The previous president, Lattie Coor (sp?), was awesome. He really cared about the students and the quality of education. He worked to pull ASU off the top 10 party schools list. etc... The new president is a total disapointment.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 09:57:59 PM »
Are any of you guys going to the Spring Reception at Loyola in May?  I'm on the east coast and am still trying to decide if I can make it.  I need to go out to find an apartment but I'm afraid May maybe too early and I can only afford one trip.  Several of the complexes I've checked with won't know their availability until 30 days prior.  Is that pretty common in L.A.?
Also, for those that are from LA - what do you think of North Hollywood and Pasadena?  I'd prefer to live in West L.A. but I've heard these areas are cheaper and the commute downtown won't be nearly as bad.  Any thoughts?
Thanks.

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 10:02:14 PM »
The 30 Day thing is pretty common in LA, as apts go pretty quick.  I'd go for Pasadena over North Hollywood.  Now, someone correct me if I am wrong, but North Hollywood would be quite a bit closer to Loyola.  Also, if push comes to shove you could take surface streets to school.  From Pasadena, I don't think you can take surface streets, and the 110 is narrow and can be a female dog.  The stretch of the 110 coming from Pasadena to downtown LA is my least favorite drive in LA.  I am a bit biased, but I would go for West LA over those places.  The commute is not horrible, and West LA is a great place to live. If you get a roommate or 2, you could get away with spending maybe around 500ish for rent, which isn't bad.