Law School Discussion

So exactly how difficult is it to get a law school scholarship???

chooster99

• 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So exactly how difficult is it to get a law school scholarship???
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 03:14:04 PM »
YEAH!! I got ZILCH from LLS, 161/3.53.  I sent a letter to the dean about a week ago, so I'm waiting for a response.  HEADMACHINE: what are your stats?  I'm going to USC, Hastings, or Davis in a heartbeat if I get in (btw, dinged from UCLA today).

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 03:16:15 PM »
Dinged from UCLA today as well!
Chooster, what a bonding expereince. F*** em, i want to go to SC anyway.

andywp8

• 3.2, 165 LSAT, going to Loyola w/full ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 03:19:36 PM »

USC and UCLA are most likely going to be sending out more acceptances within the next 3-4 weeks (they have been really slow with their responses, I am still waiting to hear from both).

They will most likely be accepting some people who have scholarships at LLS, and some of those people will probably opt to attend UCLA/USC over LLS freeing up scholarship money for LLS.

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 03:30:33 PM »
Got dinged from UCLA today too...It was a long shot anyways....

headmachine

• new
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 03:52:43 PM »
YEAH!! I got ZILCH from LLS, 161/3.53.  I sent a letter to the dean about a week ago, so I'm waiting for a response.  HEADMACHINE: what are your stats?  I'm going to USC, Hastings, or Davis in a heartbeat if I get in (btw, dinged from UCLA today).

3.51/ 161 av/ 165 high with 2 yrs WE and good recs and decent ps...yeah im expecting my rejection letter too today...i was keeping my fingers crossed being all optimistic but i found out my genius buddy at cal (prolly 3.7+, ~170) got wl (dinged) at ucla a while back already so im ready to accept my fate and complain about LLS financial aid - or lack thereof

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 04:19:09 PM »
My impression has been that UC's paramount consideration is GPA, then LSAT and if u dont make the cut you're out buddy regarless of WE and any save the world stuff.

However, i think SC makes an effort--albeit slight--to look at other credentials. i know of some really interesting people with low numbers who got dinged at UCLA and in one case even Loyola but got into SC!!!

headmachine

• new
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 04:26:53 PM »
i wish i was ur buddy too...  :-[

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2004, 10:41:08 AM »
asugirliegirl -
You mentioned that you petitioned the Dean for scholarship $$ - has anything come of that?  How do you petition for money?  I called LLS today and they said that pretty much all of their scholarship money had already been given out.  I would think that some people who were offered $$$ would decide to go elsewhere, freeing up money around the deposit due date (June 1st). I'm right at their 75% for both GPA and LSAT so I figured I would get something (not a full ride) but so far nothing.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 12:02:03 PM »
I called LLS immediately after I received my admission decision (Feb.) and was informed that I had the option to petition for funds. I wrote a letter, used my interest in public interest law and my other scholarship offers as leverage, had a prof look over the letter, then sent it in. It's been about a month. I called LLS on Fri and the dean was out of the office, but the student I spoke to said that the dean will answer my letter. I'm going to call today. The dean is supposed to be in the office. I'm waiting to see if I can get $$ when scholarship recipients decide to attend elsewhere.

chance

• 3.6/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2004, 12:46:51 PM »
I would suggest trying to go to a visitation or reception and chat specifically with the Dean--then when you email him or call him, he can put a face to a name. Seems to be working for me.