Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship vs. high ranking school  (Read 2125 times)

Anonymous235

Scholarship vs. high ranking school
« on: July 26, 2002, 12:54:52 PM »
???I have been offered a full scholarship at a fourth tier law school close to my home and my current job.  My GPA and LSAT are very good, and I could get into much "better" schools.  However, the only top tiers in my area are about 1 1/2 hour away, and because of family responsibilities I would not be able to attend.  The other choices I have are about 1 hour from home (a second tier and a third tier school).  I would probably get some type of scholarship from the second and third tier schools, but not a full one.  What should I do?  I have to decide next week, and need some advice quickly.  Thanks.

dogtown

Re: Scholarship vs. high ranking school
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 12:02:48 PM »
Well, you said the 1st tier schools are too far away, and you cannot attend.  So they are out.

The 2/3 tier schools are an hour away.  But you dont know about schollarships?  Its a bit late not to have a financial aid offer from schools you have been accepted to by now.  You probably will not have this info. by next week.

The difference in how your career will be affected if you go to a 4th versus a second or third tier school is probably negligable.  If you have a true full schollarship, youll probably save 100K+ over the next 3 years.  

If it were me, I would move and go to a 1st tier school (have you been accepted to a top school?), if I had an offer.  But if I were you, I would go to the 4th tier school, get to it and do well.

It also sounds unrealistic to have an hour commute if you expect to keep your job, which it sounds like you do.  Its going to be hard enough keeping your job even if both the job and the school were across the street from your house.

Also, look at the bar pass rate for the 4th tier school.  Is it decent? Sometimes they are a great bargain, in the end.

Anonymous235

Re: Scholarship vs. high ranking school
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 11:24:16 AM »
I don't have offers from any school other than the 4th tier close to home.  I only took the LSAT this past June 10, with the intention of applying to law school for next fall.  After the results were published, I was contacted by several law schools (tier 2, 3 and 4), all stating that they had a few merit scholarships remaining, and that my profile indicated that I might qualify for one, and be able to start this fall.  I decided to apply to the only one that was close enough to my house, and got a full scholarship offer last week.  My current employer, who is an attorney, says that I could work a couple of hours a week whenever possible since the school is only a few blocks away, and that all the attorneys at work would help me with my studies if needed.  It all felt like a good deal, but some people are advising me to wait until next year to see what kinds of offers I get after I apply to more schools.  Anyway, thank you for your advice.