Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Confusing questions from prep. LSAT  (Read 9207 times)

cvetok

• LSAT - February/ waiting
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Confusing questions from prep. LSAT
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 03:33:36 PM »
Congrats jeffjoe!!! :D
Zpops I chose the same answer as you did, but Alas! It is B. So, why in the world the answer B is correct one? There was no mentioning of other animals or people lives in the text! Proves my point about the contoversy of the LSAT.
** Life is like a B-grade movie. You don't want to leave in the middle, but you don't want to see it again.--Ted Turner, (1938--), U.S. billionaire
** Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit.--R. E. Shay

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 03:37:13 PM »
B is incorrect b/c the passage does not discuss “immediately assist[ing] in saving several animal lives or in protecting the health of a person.

C is wrong b/c the passage does not mention how killing the dog will prevent “future animal suffering.”

D is not right b/c the dog is not injured unhealthy so it is not true that his “prospects for recovery are dim.”

I was stumped b/w A and E, but I am leaning toward E b/c, as OSUHopeful mentioned “A is incorrect since the dog is not suffering pain.”

Since the book says that B is correct, I wonder if this is a made-up, non-LSAC question.  If it is made-up, then the author sucks.  All of the answers suck in one aspect or another.  If this is a LSAC question, I'm doomed.

cvetok

• LSAT - February/ waiting
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 03:38:32 PM »
Anti_Ivy:
The question is from LSAT the Ofiicial Tripleprep Volume 1. ;)
** Life is like a B-grade movie. You don't want to leave in the middle, but you don't want to see it again.--Ted Turner, (1938--), U.S. billionaire
** Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit.--R. E. Shay

jgruber

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 03:39:02 PM »
Congrats jeffjoe!!! :D
Zpops I chose the same answer as you did, but Alas! It is B. So, why in the world the answer B is correct one? There was no mentioning of other animals or people lives in the text! Proves my point about the contoversy of the LSAT.

Ya want my honest opinion?  It's a guessing game.  I don't think B is especially better than C.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 03:40:19 PM »
i will acknowledge that C is too strong, becuase of the phrase "Only justification", but B contains a ridiculous level of speculation.  Are we to know from reading this article that she would not choose to do the experiemnt to save one other animal, but would do it for several?  Or that she would choose to do the experiment if she was going to save a human life by performing it (even though she's a veterinary student, which makes this absurd)?

I always hated principle questions, but I honestly think that question is horrid.  I seriously would have challenged it if it was on the test I took.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

nathanielmark

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 03:40:47 PM »
Funny, i liked B myself but then lost confidence when i saw ZPOPS rule it out. lol. either way, this is not a real LSAT question because you could make arguements for B, C or E (at least in my opinion.).

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 03:41:28 PM »
The question is from LSAT the Ofiicial Tripleprep Volume 1. ;)

WTF?!  #&*@!   :-X

nathanielmark

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 03:43:06 PM »
thats distressing.  i actually think C would be safe to rule out now though as it pertains to experimentation rather then the killing of animals.

which would leave B and E.  you could say E is too extreme.

jgruber

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 03:43:26 PM »
Funny, i liked B myself but then lost confidence when i saw ZPOPS rule it out. lol. either way, this is not a real LSAT question because you could make arguements for B, C or E (at least in my opinion.).

I think you could make arguments for more than one answer on many of the LSAT questions, in spite of what LSAC says in the question explanations.  There were more than one that I read that struck me as largely arbitrary.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2004, 03:45:44 PM »
This falls under the category of "choose the least wrong answer".  Not every question has a right answer, but every question does have 4 wrong answers.  I'm still inclined to argue that B is categorically wrong.  I think someone should email LSAC asking for an answer explanation :)
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.