Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Confusing questions from prep. LSAT  (Read 9650 times)

cvetok

• LSAT - February/ waiting
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Confusing questions from prep. LSAT
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2004, 10:48:38 PM »
Using a process of elimination I came to the conclusion that the answer is B. Right?
** Life is like a B-grade movie. You don't want to leave in the middle, but you don't want to see it again.--Ted Turner, (1938--), U.S. billionaire
** Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit.--R. E. Shay

jgruber

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2004, 10:54:09 PM »
Using a process of elimination I came to the conclusion that the answer is B. Right?

If she can carry over half a year's worth (1.5 weeks), then next year she could still carry over half a week and take 3 and a half weeks vacation

cvetok

• LSAT - February/ waiting
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2004, 11:07:28 PM »
Then it is D. :) Since Jennifer only PLANS to spend 4 weeks on her vacation, we don't know if she, in fact, will (so B is a shady answer  8)).
** Life is like a B-grade movie. You don't want to leave in the middle, but you don't want to see it again.--Ted Turner, (1938--), U.S. billionaire
** Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit.--R. E. Shay

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2004, 12:32:28 AM »
Alright, I am reading this fairly quickly, so perhaps I am making a dumb mistake... but shouldn't the answer be A?

Jennifer is using her ENTIRE vacation time of 4 weeks; this implies that she has 3 weeks from this year, plus one week rolled over from last year.  For one week to roll over, she must have had two weeks left remaining at the end of last year.

M2

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2004, 01:54:59 AM »
The answer is A, but why couldn't it be D??
Can anyone explain that to me?

thanks

m2

P.S. mispellings were mine...

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2004, 02:07:19 AM »
It can't be D, because she could have taken no vacation time her first year, and then taken 2.5 weeks her second year, still leaving 2 weeks to carry over as 1 week in her third year.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2004, 02:31:37 AM »
I was thinking D, but yes, A makes more sense.

She didn't use 2 weeks last year, so she carries forward 1 (half of the 2).

Even with the 3 wks in the first 4 years, I think the company needs work on that carryover policy.  ;)

jgruber

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2004, 06:04:44 PM »
Actually, the answer depends on when she is given her weeks of vacation.

If she gets it at the beginning of the year for the year to come...

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2004, 06:23:16 PM »
Alright, I am reading this fairly quickly, so perhaps I am making a dumb mistake... but shouldn't the answer be A?

Jennifer is using her ENTIRE vacation time of 4 weeks; this implies that she has 3 weeks from this year, plus one week rolled over from last year.  For one week to roll over, she must have had two weeks left remaining at the end of last year.

Exactly. D is wrong because she could have rolled over previous unused weeks from the past (several other posters mentioned this already). B is wrong because next year she will be past the 1-4 year work window established in the argument, and she may get more time at that point (remember, she has worked there *just over* three years). C and E seem kind of ridiculous.

jgruber

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2004, 06:24:39 PM »
That's it.  I hate the whole question.