Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statements Don't Matter  (Read 5279 times)

freddy51

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Personal Statements Don't Matter
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2004, 04:30:41 PM »
He is still a dumbass though, don't worry.  I scored a 1460 on my SAT, and it means absolutely nothing.  It means I was good at easy, quick math, could read, and got damn lucky on a few analogies.  Now I am just praying, hoping I can score a 170 on the LSAT, which is much, much more practical than the SAT, minus the length of intense concentration required to do well.

jgruber

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2004, 04:36:19 PM »
He is still a dumbass though, don't worry.  I scored a 1460 on my SAT, and it means absolutely nothing.  It means I was good at easy, quick math, could read, and got damn lucky on a few analogies.  Now I am just praying, hoping I can score a 170 on the LSAT, which is much, much more practical than the SAT, minus the length of intense concentration required to do well.

I read that the SAT has been altered over the years to allow for higher scores.   :D

forthguy

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2004, 04:37:02 PM »
I know.  I'll post my SAT score and then he can call me some more names.  Let's see how many sentences he can squeeze toilet into.  (into which)   Verbal 540  Math 710  -  these are the scores from 30 years ago.  I don't know if they changed the scale.

They've kept the scale but changed the means several times.  Just a few years ago, they bumped the scores by 50 points.  In the last 30 years, my suspicion is your score has "risen" by at least 100 points.  Maybe more.

Greg

jhport12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2004, 04:39:28 PM »
Not that I want to join in the pigpile on Yaleman, but I did want to respond to the LSAT issue.

As someone who's GPA is low (2.83) because of a bad sophomore slump, the LSAT presented an opportunity for me to show what I was capable of.  I studied, took practice exams, and came out with a score of 167.  This score, and an addendum explaining my academic stumble, allowed me to apply to respected schools with quality programs (as opposed to pretentious schools who rely on their aristocratic pedigree).

You do not see me whining about how schools place too much emphasis on GPA's, or don't take into account special circumstances.  And, as a matter of fact, I am CERTAIN that my personal statements had a role in my acceptances and waitlistings.  One statement was tangibly less exciting and interesting compared to another and the schools I sent it to waitlisted me.  The other was much more focused and enthusistic, and schools who got that one accepted me.

I worked hard and earned my LSAT score, and it is largely responsible for me being able to aim higher than I would have just relying on my GPA.  And, truth be told, GPA and where you went to undergrad are JUST AS SUBJECTIVE as the LSAT.  I know a lot of people may disagree with me on that, but just because it represents a larger commitment doesn't make it any less subjective.

We live in a world where pedigree and "brand naming" eclipse ability and character.  This is especially true on the coasts and in large cities.  When you get out of your scholastic cocoon and into the real world you sink or swim entirely on your own.  A good school can get you off to a good start, but that only gets you so far.

Of course, if you are already privileged and have a ton of connections that's a completely different story.

freddy51

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2004, 04:42:05 PM »
Actually, much like the LSAT, the test has become more difficult over the years.  Especially after 1993.  THis is the reason those "genius" groups or whatever they are have a higher standard if you use the SAT as a qualifier for people who took the SAT earlier.  Example:  After 1993; 1300 SAT=135 IQ  Before:1370=135 IQ/  These numbers are by no means precise.  But the higher score necessary for older SAT's shows that they were easier.

jgruber

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2004, 04:47:03 PM »
Actually, much like the LSAT, the test has become more difficult over the years.  Especially after 1993.  THis is the reason those "genius" groups or whatever they are have a higher standard if you use the SAT as a qualifier for people who took the SAT earlier.  Example:  After 1993; 1300 SAT=135 IQ  Before:1370=135 IQ/  These numbers are by no means precise.  But the higher score necessary for older SAT's shows that they were easier.

Mensa.  Been there; done that.  You can have 'em.  IQ snobs.