Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Urinalysis: Should It Be Mandatory?

Definitely
Maybe
Absolutely not

Author Topic: Urinanalysis  (Read 2139 times)

joeschmoe

• View Profile
    • Email
Urinanalysis
« on: April 22, 2004, 02:25:50 AM »
Do you think students should be dope-tested and asked to hand in a urine sample with their exam paper or test to prove their results were down to hard work and not pharmacology? 

kaftex

Re: Urinanalysis
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 06:34:18 AM »
This is the most ridiculous post I've read yet. If you're talking about what I typically think of when I hear a cop in Dunkin Donuts chewing the fat with his grotesquely obese partner about "those damn kids and their dope," hell... I'll roll it up for them. That’s just more points for me.

If you're talking about Adderall, whom exactly do you hope to catch? The kid who popped a pill for the first time an hour before the exam, or the systematic abuser?

There's no litmus test psychiatrists employ for determining ADD, and in my experience at least half of the people I've encountered that use these medications do so both unnecessarily and with the benefit of a board certified physician's prescription. Anyone with half a brain and a desire for a drug can get an Rx with a doctor's blessing after answering only a few simple questions and dishing out a couple of C bills. “Yes, doctor Doe. I can assure you that I have difficulty concentrating despite the fact that I have no comparative basis for my arbitrary self-diagnosis.”   

For them it's a Faustian trade. If anyone wants to set himself up for failure and drug dependence later in life (considering the rate at which amphetamine tolerance builds, it will likely be sooner than later) in exchange for a slight edge in mental acuity, I say more power to him.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:28:02 AM »
Most employers require urinalisisisisis.  It won't be long before dna will be required before hiring.

BigDaddy

• 3.2 160 McGeorge School of Law, 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 10:54:48 AM »
Gattaca........great movie. We actually had a weeks worth of discussion on it in my Scientific ethics graduate class.

juster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 03:24:04 PM »
I don't think it's a bad idea for tests like LSAT, SAT, GMAT, GRE and the like. But I don't think it is necessary to test college kids after a random exam. So my answer is "Maybe"

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 03:25:04 PM »
I don't think it's a bad idea for tests like LSAT, SAT, GMAT, GRE and the like. But I don't think it is necessary to test college kids after a random exam. So my answer is "Maybe"

even that is extreme to my way of thinking. 

juster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 03:33:40 PM »
Why, employers have the right to test you whenever they suspect you may be drugged -- don't we have enough data to believe a good percentage of the above-mentioned test-takers are on drugs?

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 03:41:04 PM »
Now you're moving to another debate.  Do employers have the right to test us?  The legal right or the moral right?
How far do you take it?  Drug tests when I get a prescription, because I'm obviously prone to use drugs?

thechoson

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 03:41:38 PM »
No, no piss tests.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 03:58:34 PM »
My question would be...what would the purpose be of the urine-testing?  To keep law schools free from dope users or the legal field free from druggies?  Or maybe we can penalize FAFSA kids because of a drug crime.

I don't see what the purpose of this would be.  If someone is high and taking the LSAT, more power to them.  It is probably hurting them.  If they are taking Adderall or Cocaine..then so be it as well.  The profession if full of them. 

The political, legal, & corporate realm are full of regular drug users...invest in rehab...not punitive testing.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!