Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Value of a top tier school?  (Read 3824 times)

Kim

Value of a top tier school?
« on: July 24, 2002, 09:29:10 AM »
I have a 3.92 GPA from Temple Univ. (Journalism major) and a 165 LSAT. I knew I couldn't go to school full-time this fall, but applied to Temple's part-time program. I got in and they gave me a great scholarship package. ($10-15k TOTAL debt.) But I'd really like to go to a Top 10 or at least a top tier school. (Plus, I'd rather not go where I got my undergrad.)

The only real issue is debt. Is the name/reputation of the school worth the extra debt? I'm not sure what kind of law I'd want to practice, so would something like Temple possibly hold me back? And, one last question!, do the top tier schools usually offer financial aid?

Thanks.

Kim

Re: Value of a top tier school?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 05:41:09 PM »
Um, and thoughts?  :-/  ;D

Kim

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 05:43:19 PM »
Ooops. That would be "any" -- pretty ironic that I'm currently employed as an editor.  8)

yamany

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 05:46:02 AM »
If you really want a top ten school you will not find a part time program. So you need to decide which is more important. I am a big suporter of scholorship money. If you can get your education paid for it is almost always worth it to go that direction. That kind of money at a well established tier two school is as good, and in my opinion better, than no money at say Penn. If you do well, top 10%, you will be able to call your own shots. The excellent students at schools like Temple do just as well as someone with a top 10 JD. I do understand the aprehention of attending the same school as your undergrad but again, for the money your getting I dont know if you could live with yourself if you pasted it up.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 09:41:31 AM »
As a general rule: the higher you go, the less money you can get.  However, with your scores I'm sure you can get some funding at some of the better schools - not sure about the top 10.  Why don't you compromise and pick somewhere in between top 10 and Temple?  You can probably get a lot of money at the top 20-30 type schools.  I think at least a couple of them have part-time programs.

Don't bank on being top x% in law school.  You have no idea who your classmates will be, what the professors will be looking for on the exam, how you'll be feeling on exam day, etc.  I don't think there's a big correlation between LSAT/GPA and performance in law school.

Chia

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2002, 07:03:36 PM »
If you can get into a top ten school, go with that. The debt you incur can be repaid over a few years, but the name of the law school you went to will carry on with you for the rest of your life.  Georgetown has a part-time JD program (It's not top 10, but #14 is good enough I think).

christy

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2002, 06:33:05 PM »
Temple is actually my first choice. I just got done with the LSAT and will be applying very soon. Do you like Temple? Any words of advice when applying?
When I went for a tour, the admissions person told me the avg LSAT score was a 160. That seemed rather high. I am pretty nervous about my score. Congrats on your score BTW!