Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What does a 170 really mean??  (Read 2483 times)

stillinshock

What does a 170 really mean??
« on: October 27, 2002, 05:32:34 PM »
Hey guys and gals,

I've been reading this forum for the last year or so and now it's time for me to actually join in - and of course - ask for help. I just got back my LSAT score. I could _not_ believe it. A 170, supposedly a 98th percentile score. I have a GPA of 3.6 at DePaul University in Chicago, IL (Double Major, History and Philosophy).

Now, here is my problem: I scored much better than I ever expected (a full 5 points over any of my practice exams). I know, I know. Boo hoo. Bear with me. If I am to believe the ranking sites and the lsac 'official guide' website, I've got a fighting chance at getting in some of the top 10 schools (only Harvard, Yale, and Standard came up as under 25% chance of getting in on the Data Search). I've had something of a checkered school career though, and I'm wondering how much of that is going to make a difference. I had one real bad quarter and then dropped out for a quarter. I came back, re-took the classes (which I had _failed) and did very well. I've also had to work nearly full-time through all four years. That means no extra-curriculars.

So, those of you who might be in the know: What does all of this mean? Do I _actually_ have a shot at Columbia, Berkeley, Duke, U Chicag, etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

texasjd

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What does a 170 really mean??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 03:14:55 AM »
how did you study to get a 170?  how close are the practice tests to the real thing?
congrats!

diva

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2002, 01:21:50 PM »
Congratulations!  with these numbers you have a very good chance at any law school, including Yale and Harvard.  There is no guarantee since they get so many applications for the spots available, but you definitely are competitive for admission at all the top schools.  Don't limit yourself, especially since you will probably get application fee waivers from several schools.  So you have nothing to lose in applying.  The lack of extracurricular activities will not hurt much since you had a full time job.  Make sure your essay mentions the reasons for this and for your dropping out or getting those not-so-great grades.  Good luck!

Bcandy

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 06:45:45 AM »
Im a little confused. What service did you use exactly to arrive at these precentiles?

corinnas54

• practice lsat 170, gpa 3.93
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 07:11:48 PM »
First I have to ask...is that your graduating GPA or your UGPA? Because if it is your graduating GPA you have to consider that those classes you failed will be considered when LSAC calculates your UGPA.(All college classes you have ever taken are used) Otherwise if those are your stats it sounds like you have a good chance at alot of top schools. Atleast from what I have read here. But I am fairly new at this myself. Good luck!

east_meets_west

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 08:10:16 PM »
You should have a shot at getting into at least one of the top ten schools, almost certainly one of the T14. YHS are a stretch, but depending on your personal background (are you a URM?) anything can happen. I would suggest applying to as many of them as you can/are interested in, and pick a couple of schools in the 20's to apply to as extreme back-ups.
Northwestern 2010!

burr33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 08:10:48 PM »
why did you bump a thread from 2002?

corinnas54

• practice lsat 170, gpa 3.93
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 09:17:13 PM »
opps didn't notice sorry!

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 12:13:48 AM »
Well, if you're looking for a pat on the back, a 170 means you can go anywhere you want to (provided you spend the time and money applying). Yea for you...

Otherwise, it doesn't mean much else... Just don't get a big head and you'll be fine...
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 12:16:46 AM »
Well, if you're looking for a pat on the back, a 170 means you can go anywhere you want to (provided you spend the time and money applying). Yea for you...

Otherwise, it doesn't mean much else... Just don't get a big head and you'll be fine...

My head is currently the size of a watermelon...js...

Wonder what a 180 scorer's head looks like?  ;D
HLS '09