Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help me choose...  (Read 958 times)

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
Please help me choose...
« on: April 21, 2004, 03:06:18 PM »
I am really hung between The University of Toledo and Stetson University.  After a significant amount of analysis of the major differences between the two, it really comes down to a few factors.

I would like to live in the Carolinas eventually, though I am open to GA and FL as well.  I will not live in Ohio beyond graduation (I hate the winters).  I think Toledo may have the stronger faculty in general, but I'm not sure that is more important than the experience in clinics/moot court teams at Stetson.  Cost is no issue.  Toledo is ranked slightly higher, but Stetson may be considered closer to the "southern" region.

Toledo:
-Tier 2 (94) this year.  Historically Tier 3/4, vast improvement in last 5 yrs due to dean
-Faculty:student ratio 13.3:1 and mostly full-time faculty
-Admissions has been excellent about communicating with me

Stetson:
-Tier 3
-Faculty:student ratio 18.7:1 with more adjunct faculty
-More clinic opportunities
-More electives
-Nationally ranked trial advocacy program and competition teams

Please help me!  This is a really difficult decision for me.

asuhelms

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please help me choose...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 03:10:52 PM »
I would choose Stetson.  Especially if you don't want to live in Ohio because of the cold.  Realistically, how many jobs are you going to find in the South Atlanic region with a degree from Toledo?  Stetson is in a nice sunny warm place and they do have a nationally recognized trail advocacy program.  Toledo may be the better school, but Stetson is probably the better choice...for you.

50 Lifter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 01:30:14 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why these two schools?  You seem to have decent numbers, why not U of Tenn or Alabama?  There are lots of other south-eastern schools that would give you good options after LS.  Are you attending in 2004 or is this info for next year?

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 08:21:14 AM »
I did apply to The U of TN, and was rejected, even though the last listing I saw showed all applicants with my stats were accepted.  I also applied to Duke (rejected, but was a big reach) and Wake Forest (waitlisted).  I was accepted at Campbell, but decided not to go there for two reasons.  First, the financial aid was not anywhere close to Toledo or Stetson-it would have been 60K more debt (OK if it were Tier 1 Wake, but not for Tier 4 Campbell).  Second, they did not offer any clinics.  I learned after my undergraduate years that the importance of internships and real experience should not be underrated.

I really never considered Alabama...I was looking pretty much at in-state (Ohio) and TN/NC/SC with Stetson being the only place I applied outside of those states.

My underperformance on the LSAT seems to have caught me in a spot at the top of the Tier 3 schools, but unable to get into Tier 1 or 2 (not sure how I got waitlisted at Wake).  Due to several family crises, I opted not to retake the LSAT because I did not have adequate time for the preparation I needed to get my score up.  I will definitely be entering school this fall...at Toledo or Stetson unless I hear from Wake.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 10:55:09 AM »
Definitely Stetson.  It's all about location and if you want to be working in the South, pick the school in the South.  From what I've read Stetson is pretty good, I think you could get an excellent legal education there.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 10:57:19 AM »
U of Alabama was listed somewhere as one of  the best values

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 11:18:10 AM »
Jeffjoe, didn't you used to be jgruber??