Law School Discussion

I need help!

I need help!
« on: April 21, 2004, 12:51:31 PM »
I would like to get some brief input from outspoken individuals such as yourselves  :)

By this Friday, I need to make a decision for the admission to Oklahoma City University School of Law (no money)

or Florida Coastal (decision by mid May) $5,000 per year.

Pls and thanks.

thechoson

Re: I need help!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 12:53:14 PM »
uhh...more info needed. liek where do you want to live?

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 01:13:22 PM »
I would choose FC because of the location.  I just wouldn't want to live in OK...personally.  But then I have spent the last to years in Arkansas so anything is a step up.  If the schools are about even (which they are) go to the school where you want to live.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 01:14:15 PM »
I'm not sure, to be honest with you. I am mostly focusing on what the best job prospects are. But, I do need more feedback about living conditions, in both of the cities or states.

Please reply in any way.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 01:34:44 PM »
Florida Costal.   The name says it.  Landlocked states are boring.   :)

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 01:37:52 PM »
I dont know that there are too many people itching to go live in Oklahoma.  i dont see that state having a huge legal market either. 

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 01:59:50 PM »
Ok. Thanks for all your feedback thus far.

Florida Coastal does have a better location, but almost no alumni practicing. I have tried to find their alums working for firms, but it seems that there aren't too many. I guess that's the price of a fairly young school, such as FC.

I really don't know where to go. But I know one thing for sure: I don't want to be jobless or making less money than I'm makin now once I graduate. :( :(m

Lavia

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 02:37:06 PM »
Hi! I say do some research about the cities themselves. And check the air quality if you have asthma, and check the weather, and the health care available for students (if that's important to you), and the library size. Stuff like that.

I think you answered your own question. You sound hesitant about FCSL. But, are the schools the same overall cost, including the $5000 from FCSL? What about the cost of living in each city?

Finally, check the list of electives for each school. See which one has more classes you'd like to take, or more clinics you'd like to take. See how likely it is that you'd get into a clinic (some guarantee their students a clinic).

Good luck!!

Lavia

SpeakerDave

• 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 08:02:34 AM »
uhh...more info needed. liek where do you want to live?

I have to say, I found it quite funny yo see thechoson offering to help someone decide on a law school.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 08:20:12 AM »
With regional schools like that, it all comes down to where you want to live.  You will have better job prospects with a degree from FCSL in FL, than you would with a degree from Oklahoma, and vice versa.  Unfortunately neither degree is likely to carry very far outside the state where the school is located. Personally I'd choose to live in FL over OK, but they're both too warm for a New England gal such as myself :) But just ask yourself--if I had two job offers right now, one in OK and one in FL that paid about the same, which would I choose? Where would I choose to relocate? Because essentially what you are deciding when you pick a regional law school is that you are planning to work in that region for at least a few years.

Good luck! :)