Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Generally, if you're wait-listed...chances are pretty bad right? (GMU)  (Read 6532 times)

jdn2262

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Generally, if you're wait-listed...chances are pretty bad right? (GMU)
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 10:35:10 PM »
Heres some info:

To all applicants who are on our wait list:

We will begin making final decisions on wait-listed applications during the week of April 19th. This process will continue into May and June -- and possibly into July.

Because we, like other law schools, have had to be so mindful of enrollment targets, we made our direct offers of admission very cautiously this year. Being over-enrolled, as we were a couple years ago, is not a good thing for the students or the faculty. As a result, we have wait-list many outstanding applicants this year -- applicants we hope we will be able to admit in the next several weeks.

So -- based upon how things are looking at this point, I expect that we may be in a position to make 30-40 offers of admission to wait-listed applicants before the end of April. During May, June and July, I expect that we will make more offers of admission to wait-listed applicants.

We will do our best to get all final decisions out as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process. If you have specific questions about your status, please do not hesitate to contact me at arichar5@gmu.edu.

-- Anne Richard

GMULAW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 11:37:41 PM »
Congrats on GMU!!  I absolutely love it there.  It was a really hard choice for me to come to GMU b/c I am doing a long distance relationship with my fiancee (getting married May 8) who is at BYU finishing his undergrad. The best info I can get give you is about the daytime profs and classes you will take your first semester.

Torts-Krauss  Unless you are really into tort theory I would avoid him. He does not teach the black letter law and just wants to "wonder" about what tort law should be. To him tort law is about corrective justice and morality (which 90% of the law world will say is wrong, most say torts is about detterence and compenstation). He is a really smart guy and he has written a ton on torts. If you have him then you want to read all the stuff he wrote over the summer. The exam is basically about spitting his opinion back out at him. Also read Vosburg v. Putney and theorize about it. You will be money on the first day.

Econ Found--Ippolitio
There is not to much to say about this class except to not talk during it. You can study really hard, but unless you have an econ background you probably can hope for a B at best (gotta love the 2.9 curve). Everyone, and I mean everyone, walked out of his exam completly demoralized and convinced we had failed. I would study to the point where you understand the concepts, but don't waste your time on the practice tests or problems, they won't help (even though he says they will) Oh yes and one other thing, ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING, this is what got me a B in the class (which was a shock to me seeing as I thought I failed for sure) WRITE DOWN EVERY STORY HE SAYS IN DETAIL! I AM NOT KIDDING. When he talks about the pencil, write it down, same with the mafia, jamiaca, and anything else on his mind. He will put about 10 of these questions on the exam, and they might be the only 10 you know for sure you got right. I was shocked at the number of people who did not bother to do this, and thus gave up 10 points, which on the curve is HUGE!

Contract-Davies
He is awesome in class, take thorough notes when he is talking about cases. Know the UCC 2 (unrevised version) and Restatment cold. This will be huge on the exam. Talk a lot in class and go to his office and you will get a grade bump.He is afraid of the curve though and tends to shove most students in the B B- ranges, thus making it very hard to do well, even though you might know the material really well, Oh yeah facts of cases are very important.

Property-Eagle
KNOW WHAT TRESPASS ON THE CASE IS! He is going to embarass the crap out of some poor 1L on the first day of class. KNOW THIS and DOUBLE CHECK to make sure you know it. Gilberts Property is a great study guide keyed to his book. You need to know the policy and black letter law. You don't need to know cases, so read them and move on with life. You have to think outside the box for his exam, but don't do it in class. Start getting Future Interests down now, he really likes them on the exam.

I think that is about it, plus I have to get back to studying. Feel free to contact me if you have other questions
Chaddow81@yahoo.com

I will choose a path that's free, I will choose free will

Skippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 04:26:52 PM »
I just got a call from GMU law today...
Assistant Dean Mr. Jackson told me

I GOT IN!!! :) :) :) Who said that getting on the wait-list is "not bloody likely" to get in? ;)

Whoo hoo!

nathanielmark

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 04:28:28 PM »
Wow, congrats. you are the second person i have heard that from today.  i am very envious.  maybe ill see you there in Sep of 05.  best of luck.

chooster99

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 04:35:32 PM »
 :)   ;D   :D  Congrats SmoothA4...I have once again put my foot in my mouth.  Now if only I can be so lucky to get off Vandy's waitlist...

Skippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2004, 05:22:08 PM »
I keep thinking it was a crank call, or they're going to look over the records and be like "Oh crap!  That was a mistake!"...I'm going to have to get the mail on Wednesday (which is when they said the official papers would be here) before I can REALLLLY be sure =)

lemmiwinks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2004, 06:08:45 PM »
Congrats Smooth!  I just got in off the waitlist today as well.

GMULAW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2004, 07:14:02 PM »
Smooth,
I eat my words. Congratulations! Now read what I posted about the classes and start learning the black letter law now! See you next year!
I will choose a path that's free, I will choose free will

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 01:01:21 PM »
HAHA! Good for you Smooth - way to prove everyone wrong! CONGRATS!

Skippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2004, 01:12:50 PM »
Thanks guys, I still don't know how it happened.  My index was lower than most people who got accepted, and lower than a lot of people who got flat-out rejected as well!  Either I had a killer essay, or I had God on my side.  Either way, the improbable happened and I'm going to accept before they realize that they've made a mistake haha