Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Military Draft Coming back?  (Read 16039 times)

thechoson

Re: Military Draft Coming back?
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2004, 03:58:14 PM »
I MEANT, Jeffjoe, you got yourself a deal.
now instead of arms races, we can go back to our post race.
hehehe

jgruber

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2004, 04:00:32 PM »
No. Post races lead to pole races and pole races lead to stick races, which lead to turbocharged stick races.  The only hope for peace is to arm for marbles.

thechoson

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2004, 04:01:01 PM »
uhh... ok.

Phillip79

• ICQ Messenger - 0
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhillipBach79
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Phillip_Bach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2004, 07:57:41 AM »
How long do you think it is going to take before a country uses pre-emptive strike policy on the U.S.?

Gee, I thought that had already happened. September 11th?

One thing that we know for certain:  The Clinton administration policy of doing nothing and even trying to appease terrorists did NOT make us any safer. 

There are certain people who are going to hate America no matter what we do.  Regardless of WMD's, I'd rather "err" on the side of toppling brutal dictators and freeing million sof people, than doing absolutely nothing and getting attacked anyway. 

The era of sticking our head in the sand is over.  The decade when Saddam Hussein laughed at us is over.  I don't miss it.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2004, 09:18:36 AM »
People were saying in the 50's, "If we had only taken out Hitler in the 30's." Sadam is gone and people can say that it was a bad idea, but our children will never have to deal with what he might have become.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

jgruber

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2004, 12:21:43 PM »
People were saying in the 50's, "If we had only taken out Hitler in the 30's." Sadam is gone and people can say that it was a bad idea, but our children will never have to deal with what he might have become.

And they were also saying in the 50s, why did we do business with Hitler?

And now we are saying why did we send money to Saddam and why -- after we knew he gassed his own people -- did we continue to play nice with him to the point that Rummey was shaking hands in public with him

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2004, 12:32:39 PM »
phillip79

If you don't care that Iraq didn't have WMDs, you should.  It is the entire reason we justified getting involved in this war to the world.  We also have to remember that over 600 Americans have died and thousands of Iraqis have died.  Yet, we still can't PROVE we had a reason to be there. 

All I can say is do you really believe that the Iraqis think that we are "freeing" them?  We killed thousands of people there when we rolled in.  You have to understand the degree of international arrogance that is involved w/ this sort of activity.  We didn't tell the world we were going in to oust a Dictator...we said it was for WMDs.  On the other hand, we did plan on toppling Hitler in WWII.  Big difference.  Americans need to learn the concept of international diplomacy versus brute force.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

jgruber

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2004, 12:35:38 PM »
How long do you think it is going to take before a country uses pre-emptive strike policy on the U.S.?

Gee, I thought that had already happened. September 11th?

What in the world are you using as proof of a connection between Iraq and 9/11?  Even George Wacko Bush has stop trying to convince anyone there is a connection.  He's retreated to the vague generalized war on terror speil.  Puh-leeze.  Let's stick to facts that we can at least agree might be real facts.  This is not the fiction shelf.

jgruber

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2004, 12:38:41 PM »
On the other hand, we did plan on toppling Hitler in WWII.  Big difference.  Americans need to learn the concept of international diplomacy versus brute force.

But we don't seem to have learned from the past.  American millionares supported Hitler early on.  We did business with Nazi Germany up to Dec 7th.  Many Americans were willing to turn a blind eye to Hitler's activities to serve the bottom line. 

And we did the same thing with Saddam, and before that it was the Shah of Iran and before that ....

aladin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2004, 10:39:45 PM »
I'll immigrate to some European country (France? LOL) in case military draft comes back. I feel sorry for these guys being shipped to Iraq to fight for Chenney's oil.