Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Military Draft Coming back?  (Read 16113 times)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Re: Military Draft Coming back?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2004, 02:11:51 PM »
Findedeux: You claim to be be in the know about Israeli history yet you make accusations that are one sided and smack of ignorance. I'm not flaming you here, but i want to make a point that no one can possibly know about the history of Israel yet still claim that they "react with excessive force toward Palestinians". If you see "Palestinians" as the current denizens of the West Bank and Gaza, then I can't see how the largest and most powerful army in the region could react any less to its citizens being blown up.

The Palestinians are unfortunately a neglected people who were used for political gain when it was convinient. Jordan, Syria, and Egypt WERE the West Bank and Gaza. The "Palestinians" were neglected and passed over by these countries. When their invasions were repelled numerous times, the people would lived in these areas were treated as political pawns. It is very sad indeed.

When commenting on the Israeli history of "oppression" please do not forget that on the very day that the UNITED NATIONS voted to call Israel a sovereign nation, that the armies of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Lebanon attacked the fledgling state from all sides. Since then, Israel has been attacked 4 other times (194849, 1956, 1967, 197374, and 1982). All of the surrounding countries told the arabs in Israel and the surrounding territories to leave and not become targets in a war. They were promised resettlement once the Zionists were expelled and exterminated. This never happened.

As a scholar of religious history, you should recognize that the last 50 years and current news headlines read like biblical prophecy. The position of Israel as a super power in that region coupled with the deep-seeded hatred and jealousy of its neighbors creates a tenuous position that must be resolved by a higher power or explode as a powder-keg that will destroy the entire region.

And yes... I DO plan on starting a pro-Israel club at my law school.  Do you think I will have many takers? ;)
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

jgruber

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2004, 02:15:33 PM »
Killing for political gain is always questionable.  Always.

Findedeux: You claim to be be in the know about Israeli history yet you make accusations that are one sided and smack of ignorance. I'm not flaming you here, but i want to make a point that no one can possibly know about the history of Israel yet still claim that they "react with excessive force toward Palestinians". If you see "Palestinians" as the current denizens of the West Bank and Gaza, then I can't see how the largest and most powerful army in the region could react any less to its citizens being blown up.

The Palestinians are unfortunately a neglected people who were used for political gain when it was convinient. Jordan, Syria, and Egypt WERE the West Bank and Gaza. The "Palestinians" were neglected and passed over by these countries. When their invasions were repelled numerous times, the people would lived in these areas were treated as political pawns. It is very sad indeed.

When commenting on the Israeli history of "oppression" please do not forget that on the very day that the UNITED NATIONS voted to call Israel a sovereign nation, that the armies of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Lebanon attacked the fledgling state from all sides. Since then, Israel has been attacked 4 other times (194849, 1956, 1967, 197374, and 1982). All of the surrounding countries told the arabs in Israel and the surrounding territories to leave and not become targets in a war. They were promised resettlement once the Zionists were expelled and exterminated. This never happened.

As a scholar of religious history, you should recognize that the last 50 years and current news headlines read like biblical prophecy. The position of Israel as a super power in that region coupled with the deep-seeded hatred and jealousy of its neighbors creates a tenuous position that must be resolved by a higher power or explode as a powder-keg that will destroy the entire region.

And yes... I DO plan on starting a pro-Israel club at my law school.  Do you think I will have many takers? ;)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2004, 02:18:28 PM »
jgruber!!!! What did you do to your name? I can't take you changing something that has become so comforting to me. My mental stability while waiting for LS responses is dependent upon usual, common activities. I don't think that I can deal with this sudden change.  Thanks alot!  >:(
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2004, 02:21:18 PM »
With regard to compulsory service...it seems like a good idea on the face of it.  But, how would many of you feel having to fight in some of these b.s. wars...is that freedom?

Are you suggesting that the draft is never justified?  Or that we should can only be compelled to fight in wars we approve personally?

Obviously, it is not my stance to say that we get to pick and choose the wars we're in on a personal basis.  However, it is out duty as Americans, despite the arguments of many Republicans, to question our leaders and their motivations.  Iraq wasn't a good idea.  WWII was.  Simple as that.  We have a history of going to resource-driven wars under Republican leaders.  These wars are masked in other terms for the American populace...to fight the domino effect for communist nations falling...to fight terrorism.  Afghanistan was about terrorism, not Iraq.  When is the last time we've had problems w/ Iraqi people being terrorists in our country?  Yeah, I don't remember reading about that.  Or, are we there because the secuirty code was ORANGE that day...I don't know. 

I think the draft has been very important at different points in American history.  Of course, in WWII, people many times didn't have to be asked, they would just join.  The cause was more clear.  Now, we are there to clean up the mess we created...seems less noble.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

thechoson

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2004, 02:24:54 PM »
Wait, wtf!!! Jgruber is jeffjoe now?  huh?!

jgruber

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2004, 02:32:04 PM »
It's to celebrate my confirmation name. I became a Catholic on Holy Saturday.

jgruber!!!! What did you do to your name? I can't take you changing something that has become so comforting to me. My mental stability while waiting for LS responses is dependent upon usual, common activities. I don't think that I can deal with this sudden change.  Thanks alot!  >:(

thechoson

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2004, 02:34:16 PM »
Congratulations!!!  ;D

jgruber

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2004, 02:36:40 PM »
Thanks.  It was a surprise to this Presbyterian/Episcapol/Lutheran/Baptist/Episcopal, but I found out it's where I belong.

Congratulations!!!  ;D

thechoson

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2004, 02:37:45 PM »
Thanks.  It was a surprise to this Presbyterian/Episcapol/Lutheran/Baptist/Episcopal, but I found out it's where I belong.

Congratulations!!! ;D

uhh... yea.

jgruber

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2004, 03:50:51 PM »
OK.  Now let's argue about the draft some more.......  :o