Off-Topic Area > News Discussion

Military Draft Coming back?

(1/19) > >>

thechoson:
There are whispers that the military draft is being considered, with things going the way they are in Iraq.  What are everyone's feelings on this?

jgruber:

I will be most interested to see how things would play out in the draft regarding deferments for students and how women would figure in the draft.  If you draft young men, won't you have to draft young women, too?

NerdyLaw:
I think that I better get my ass in law school as to avoid the draft! Seriously, we are in the minority as far as countries that require compulsory military service. I have friends from Singapore and Europe who were required to spend 2 years in the army. It would help people to see that there is a price to security and maybe reinforce patriotism. I DO think that we should really think about doing this during peacetime.

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
   - Col. Nathan R. Jessup

jgruber:
I served in the Army for seven years.  I hated it and they were less than thrilled to have me.  In spite of that, I agree about two years of compulsory service. 

--- Quote from: NJLawGuy on April 21, 2004, 12:57:08 PM ---I think that I better get my ass in law school as to avoid the draft! Seriously, we are in the minority as far as countries that require compulsory military service. I have friends from Singapore and Europe who were required to spend 2 years in the army. It would help people to see that there is a price to security and maybe reinforce patriotism. I DO think that we should really think about doing this during peacetime.

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
   - Col. Nathan R. Jessup

--- End quote ---

nathanielmark:
I think I am old enough now (28) that i dont have to worry about it.  i think its unfortunate because iraq was an elective war that was a huge expense in terms of lives and dollars. it did nothing to make america a safer place.  if we are able to regain the level of stability in in iraq that was there before the war, i would consider that a victory at this point. 

the tragedy is that people are too apathetic to  sort thru the BS that the administration is feeding us and will probably put W back in the white house for another 4 years of floundering.  i really think we (americans) are becoming our own worst enemies at this point, thru ignorance and apathy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version