Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which prepbook to choose?  (Read 2157 times)

cvetok

• LSAT - February/ waiting
    • View Profile
    • Email
Which prepbook to choose?
« on: April 21, 2004, 12:33:51 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've just ordered the "Powerscore Logic Bible" and "10 More Actual LSAT tests" on amazon.com.. Now I am wondering what is the difference between the "10 Actual" and "10 More Actual LSAT tests"? I still have time to modify my order, so which book would you suggest?  ::)
Thanks!
** Life is like a B-grade movie. You don't want to leave in the middle, but you don't want to see it again.--Ted Turner, (1938--), U.S. billionaire
** Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit.--R. E. Shay

nathanielmark

Re: Which prepbook to choose?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 12:44:22 PM »
when are you taking the test?  If you are taking it in june, skip 10 Actual.  I would strongly advise you to buy the "NEXT 10" lsats from LSAC, which is released at the end of the month, you can preorder it online, it has newer tests then "10 More".  I would also buy the 4 most recent LSATs (39-42 I believe) that they sell individually.  i am working thru 10 Actual now after having completed "10 More" and the older ones are a lot easier, and probably not the strongest way to prep.

LG Bible is great.  if you want a single prep book (other then actual LSATs) to buy in addition to that that covers LR and RC, i have reviewed several and think very highly of the Nova book.

best of luck.

cvetok

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 12:50:38 PM »
2 nathanielmark:
Thank you for a quick reply! I am scheduled for June LSAT, so I have about 7-8 weeks to prepare. I am on my spring break right now, and I've decided to dedicate my whole time to studying for the test. I have some older prepbooks such as PR, Kaplan, and Barron's, and they all seem to be good, but I just want to make sure that I haven't missed some important changes to the LSAt before taking the actual test. So, would you suggest skipping "10 More Actual", and instead going with "Next 10 Lsats" from LSAC?
 ???
** Life is like a B-grade movie. You don't want to leave in the middle, but you don't want to see it again.--Ted Turner, (1938--), U.S. billionaire
** Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit.--R. E. Shay

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 01:09:33 PM »
Hi,

If you were to only buy only one of the two, then definitely buy the new one.  But doing more practice tests would be beneficial, and having only 10 to study from, may be a bit limited to some ppl, so it'll be useful to buy both so you have 20 tests to practice from.  However, these tests don't have explanations, and that's also its weakness.  Try to get the explanations if possible.  You could email me if you have further questions.

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 01:21:28 PM »
Honestly, with the limited time you have, i would do the most recent 14 LSATs first (Next 10 and the most recent 4).  and if as you go you find that you are outpacing your study material, i would supplement it with stuff from next 10.

I would also advise you take a full diagnostic test to see what your score is.  with the time you have to prepare, i would be concerned if you feel an 8 point increase from the diag score will not be sufficient for the schools you will be applying to.  I think most people will agree an increase of more then 8 points is not the norm.

a bunch of us on this forum have decided to take the most recent LSATs together (when they ship first week of may) and start threads to discuss scores, particular questions, etc.  you are welcome to join us. 

2 nathanielmark:
Thank you for a quick reply! I am scheduled for June LSAT, so I have about 7-8 weeks to prepare. I am on my spring break right now, and I've decided to dedicate my whole time to studying for the test. I have some older prepbooks such as PR, Kaplan, and Barron's, and they all seem to be good, but I just want to make sure that I haven't missed some important changes to the LSAt before taking the actual test. So, would you suggest skipping "10 More Actual", and instead going with "Next 10 Lsats" from LSAC?
 ???

cvetok

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 01:38:33 PM »
nathanielmark:
Actually, I don't think that I am doing so bad on my LSAT preparations ::), my first score was 157, and that is considering that I did very bad on the games section. Now, as I am focusing my attention on the games, I feel a bit more confident, and I can see an improvement in my understanding of AR section. Hopefully, after I review the techniques offered in the Logic Bible, I will improve my score big time. I would be happy to score in between 161-165 on the actual test, since law schools that I am going to apply to have a median of 160-165.
I am not sure if I will buy the "Next 10", but I really like your idea with helping each other in the process of preparing for the test. I, myself, think that it also would be good if people posted here the most confusing and misleading questions from different LSATs, because sometimes the book's explanations are not that great.

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 01:47:38 PM »
games is my sticking point too.  if your diag was 158 and you will be happy with something in 160-165 range i think you are in great shape.

but i would be very weary of not getting those new tests.  games is the section on the LSAT that changes the most every few years.  iknow that "10 More" games are MUCH harder then 10 Actual.  everyone on this board who i have spoken to has told me that the more recent games are also very different from "10 More".

you dont want to put in all the time to succeed only to be caught offguard on test day...  $30 for the "next 10 LSATs"  Money well spent i would think.

cvetok

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 02:00:18 PM »
2 nathanielmark:
 :)Ok, now I can't figure out what to do.. Should I order "10 more actual" or not? Do you mean that the games in "10 more" are different from the actual LSAT? Ok, so is this book helpful at all? ::) Following you advice, I probably will order either "next 10" or recent 14.. which one to choose though? Thanks for your help. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 02:07:20 PM »
i can see how i would be confusing you now.

when i say "10 Actual"  this is the title of the first compilation of LSAT books.  when i say "10 More" is very different from "10 Actual" I mean that the games in the two volumes are very different.

I think most people who have performed well on the LSAT here would agree that you would be best served buying "Next 10 LSATs" and the the single tests #39-42, which together comprise the most recent 14 LSATs available.  Here is the link to buy all of these...

https://os.lsac.org/Release/Shop/Shop_Books.aspx?po=Y

i honestly think with the modest score increase you are seeking then the LG Bible coupled with rigorous work on these 14 tests will get you where you need to be.

Also, when i said up there ("next 10" and most recent 14) which should have been ("next 10" and most recent 4). i corrected it, sorry for the confusion.

Kee

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 02:17:57 PM »
See my topic, "This topic may increase your score".  IMO, the older tests are increasingly important to review, because they're the only way to practice the "dead" games.  Would you really want to risk not knowing one of the game types you see on the test? 

For general studying, the newer the test, the better, since the newer tests are more difficult.  You also want to be scoring yourself based on the more recent raw score charts, since those will give you a better idea of current raw score requirements for a given adjusted score.  Good luck with the test, and feel free to ask any questions you have.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.