Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what do i do for financial aid?  (Read 1497 times)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Re: what do i do for financial aid?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 12:52:20 PM »
Fill out the fafsa online ASAP. Then call up your school's fin aid office and tell them you are clueless and need to know how to get money step by step. They will definately help you out. There's a lot to go through and fill out and it is very confusing but eventually you get the hang of it. Speaking from experience (4 years of borrowing my way through undergrad), I can tell you that the best thing to do with fin aid is to ask the office at your school. It's their job to tell you how to do it.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 01:36:34 PM »
If you are talking about Fall2005-sp2006 then you are fine.  The fafsa can be filled out starting jan 1st, 2005.  If it is for this next upcoming year, then do it soon!

jhport12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 09:53:50 PM »
Whatever you do with your financial aid there's one thing to remember: almost EVERYONE ends up with a ridiculous amount of debt after they graduate.  The people whose rich parents pay for it aren't that great in number (unless you're at the top schools) and those prodigies with ridiculous scholarships are even more rare.

Find some comfort in the simple fact that we all come out with lots of debt and that you have to look at law school as a financial investment in yourself that only begins to pay dividends after you graduate.  I had a hard time accepting this as someone whose never had much money and can't fathom having a small mortgage on my hands.  I then talked with some law students in their third year and they gave me some perspective.

I know I'm a little off topic, but considering how much people talk about financial aid and debt, I felt it was important to look at it in context.  It also helps people calm down and focus on the important thing: learning the law and getting good grades so that you have the best possible opportunities when you graduate.

tier4bound

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 12:12:58 AM »
^^^ The best f-ing advice I have heard all year.  Just got my denial for scholarships and this post put it all in persepctive.

Thank you.

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 12:22:33 AM »
   At the admitted students day at Santa Clara they said that the priority deadline for the FAFSA mostly applied to undergrads and law students usually get the whole amount ($18,500), assuming they qualify, as long as they fill it out by June.