Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what do i do for financial aid?  (Read 1500 times)

siyang

• View Profile
    • Email
what do i do for financial aid?
« on: April 21, 2004, 11:42:56 AM »
i am confused as to whether the application for financial aid begins or ends with the fafsa.  i know my need, and i know i need the 18,500 plus some in loans.  what do i need to do?

thechoson

Re: what do i do for financial aid?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 11:45:04 AM »
For some schools, that's it.  Other schools have additional forms they will instruct you to fill out

Skippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 11:49:11 AM »
Is it too late to apply for financial aid?  I know a lot of schools had a deadline of March 1st...

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 11:52:16 AM »
I was wondering this myself.  when is the earliest i would fill out the FAFSA for fall of '05? 

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 12:20:50 PM »
If you haven't filled out your fafsa, you need to do it asap.  You can start filling them out Jan 1st (in this case several months ago) for the fall-spring year coming up.  Most schools have already started processing financial aid and if you wait too long, the money runs out for interest-free loans

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 12:22:58 PM »
OK, so Jan 1 of 05 if i intend to start school in Sep 05... thats what i thought.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 12:26:27 PM »
Generally they say there is a "priority deadline" of March 1 which means getting it in by then is your best chance for financial aid.  But I filed finaid apps at two schools in early April (!) because I didn't actually apply to those schools until fairly late in the game.  They didn't give me big grants or anything but they were still able to offer me loans.

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 12:33:09 PM »
So you have to file a FAFSA for every school you apply to (or may attend?)

Generally they say there is a "priority deadline" of March 1 which means getting it in by then is your best chance for financial aid.  But I filed finaid apps at two schools in early April (!) because I didn't actually apply to those schools until fairly late in the game.  They didn't give me big grants or anything but they were still able to offer me loans.

DonkeySmiler

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 12:38:36 PM »

No, the FAFSA allows you to enter multiple school codes

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 12:38:48 PM »

There is a part of the FAFSA where you list up to 6 schools you may attend.  That's where you list your schools.  If you have more than 6, wait until the initial FAFSA processes.  Then, do corrections on the web, and replace those initial 6 with more schools.