Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Early acceptances this year - out of the ordinary?  (Read 1821 times)

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Early acceptances this year - out of the ordinary?
« on: December 17, 2004, 09:31:46 AM »
After comparing LSN data from last year and this year, I've noticed that schools are sending out acceptances a lot earlier this year than they usually do. Anyone else notice this or have an idea why it's happening?

Duntov

• View Profile
Re: Early acceptances this year - out of the ordinary?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 09:36:56 AM »
Fewer applicants.
Accepted:  Rutgers - Newark, Denver, UMKC, Suffolk, New England, Creighton, Vermont, Valpo with $18K/year, Golden Gate
Rejected: DePaul, GW, Mason, Richmond

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 09:40:59 AM »
It may have more to do with more people using LSN this early in the cycle.  So, we're going to have more of everything--late accepts, early accepts, dings, etc.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 09:41:34 AM »
Do you really think there are fewer applicants this year?  That would be great if there were.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 09:43:24 AM »
I have no idea if the decisions are coming earlier than normal or not, but if they are, I'm just going to be grateful and not ask questions.

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 09:58:35 AM »
Fewer applicants.

That's a bit counter-intuitive though isn't it? I would think that more applicants would cause an admissions dept to get out responses earlier due to the pile that is building up and fewer apps would give them more time to go over them and get responses out later. Either way, I'm just glad to know that I'm, going to law school next year even if it's my next-to-last choice.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 10:01:55 AM »
That's a bit counter-intuitive though isn't it? I would think that more applicants would cause an admissions dept to get out responses earlier due to the pile that is building up and fewer apps would give them more time to go over them and get responses out later.

I disagree. Fewer aplicants means that there's less work to do, so they can get through applications faster. Plus, if somebody is going to be accepted into multiple schools (and fewer applicants make that more likely), there's motivation to be fast; you want to get that person in to visit your campus, get calls from your L1s and alumni, and reeeeeeeeeeeel him in. That's much harder to do if you don't send the acceptance until February.

Miltra-- Actually, there's fewer people using LSN this year. Unless you meant that most people didn't start using it until later in the cycle last year....
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 10:07:51 AM »
I disagree. Fewer aplicants means that there's less work to do, so they can get through applications faster. Plus, if somebody is going to be accepted into multiple schools (and fewer applicants make that more likely), there's motivation to be fast; you want to get that person in to visit your campus, get calls from your L1s and alumni, and reeeeeeeeeeeel him in. That's much harder to do if you don't send the acceptance until February.

I see your point and agree. Maybe I was looking at it too simplistically.

maricutie

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 10:12:35 AM »
Hmm. Maybe more people are applying earlier this year, and adcoms ppl are selecting a bigger percentage of their class from these early birds? Just a guess. 

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 10:16:49 AM »
For the record - I haven't seen anything documenting fewer applicants. People keep saying that there were less LSATs administered which is true but only by 2.7% which is tiny. I think that we'll be able to get a better feel of the applicant pool size after the next LSAT.