Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra Wait-List  (Read 2469 times)

LawBound2004

• View Profile
    • Email
Hofstra Wait-List
« on: April 21, 2004, 09:18:14 AM »
Has anyone been wait-listed at Hofstra?  If so, have you received a decision yet?

Mark

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Re: Hofstra Wait-List
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 09:48:34 AM »
Did you get into any school? Is hofstra your first choice? I've got a seat there but I'm waiting to hear from another school since I really don't want to move out to LI. If I drop it, you'll be the first to know.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

LawBound2004

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 09:24:36 AM »
So far, I've received acceptances from Ohio Northern and University of Detroit Mercy.  As you can see, Hofstra is my first choice.  Thanks for letting me know where you stand.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 02:43:03 PM »
I'm calling them today or tomorrow and declining the acceptance. Hopefully you'll grab my seat!
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 11:26:12 AM »
Just to let you know, I sent them my "rejection letter" today. What would you call that letter? I hope you get off their WL!
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164

pame25

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 07:31:37 PM »
I was waitlisted at Hofstra as well, it is one of my first choice schools as well.  I have yet to hear anything back...

Sherms

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 01:49:38 PM »
I was on the waitlist for Hofstra's Day Program for a few months. Then, at the end of March I was accepted to the Evening Program.

This is the first year they will offer the Evening Program, and there is not much information available about it yet. My acceptance letter had absolutely no information about the program. In fact, it only listed the cost of tuition for the Day Program. I had to reread the letter to make sure I had correctly read which program I'd been admitted to. There's virtually nothing about it on the web, and I placed several calls and sent an e-mail to the Admissions Office, which went unanswered. I finally spoke to an Assistant Dean on the phone, who sounded like she couldn't get me off the phone fast enough.

It's been an extremely discouraging experience. If they were able to answer some of my questions about the program, I'd be there in a second. There's just too much uncertainty - there doesn't seem to be a system set up to allow people to transfer to the Day program yet, and they wouldn't tell me which professors will teach the night courses. The curriculum allows students to take three courses each semester, with a fourth course subject to dean's approval. However, how one might obtain dean's approval has not yet been determined.

I could save a lot of money by living with my parents on LI, as the two other schools I'm considering are in California. Although Hofstra's the highest ranked school I've gotten into, I'll probably have to turn it down because the night program does not sound polished enough.

IwantSUlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 04:29:26 PM »
You have to like people of the same sex to be admitted to hofstra...just a piece of advice

Vicki11NYR

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 11:46:48 AM »
Just want to speak up for Hofstra a bit...

I'm an undergraduate there and I know people who are in the law school.  Coming to Hofstra everyday, I've notice VERY LITTLE homosexual advocacy (I honestly don't know what to call it - I think advocacy fits all right, I suppose).  I've never noticed ribbons around trees or any of that sort of thing (where is that coming from?).

The professors tend to be more liberal (they ARE professors), but you do come across Republican professors occassionally.  Despite their political leanings, all the professors I've had are really fantastic - very intelligent, helpful, and friendly.  They are very easy to talk to and not condescending or intimidating.  Also, they're always open to new ideas and most try to actually restrain from sharing their own political viewpoints.

As for the students, you've got a good mix of both Republicans, Democrats, and people who don't have a preference.  Actually, the Republican club is very active on campus, more so than the Democratic club (actually, I think it went bankrupt...).  Since there are a lot of Long Islanders on campus, you'll find many come from conservative families.  I myself am a Republican and don't feel oppressed or anything like that.

Actually, for the Spring graduation, there was a very liberal speaker for the ceremony and it was such a disaster (namely because he spent the whole speech bashing President Bush - don't they check these people's speeches?)!  He actually had to stop in the middle of his speech because there was so much booing from the audience, especially the parents.  At the end, most of the faculty applauded and only half the students did.  So, as I said, it's pretty split between students, the faculty is more liberal, and the families are more conservative.  However, since many of these families give Hofstra money, there's no way that the University would have extremely liberal policies. 

All in all, if the faculty for the law school is anything like the faculty for the Liberal Arts school, I'd say it must be a terrific law school!  Good luck to everyone on the waiting list!
Stats: 3.96/174

Accepted: HLS, CLS, NYU, UChicago ($$$), UPenn, Duke, UVA ($$$), GULC ($$$)
Pending: YLS, Cornell

LSN Account: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Vicki11NYR