Law School Discussion

A warning to the newbies

TLFKARG

A warning to the newbies
« on: December 16, 2004, 08:49:42 PM »
This warning is specifically for the newbies on the board, as most of the people who have been here for are aware of the incident.

I urge you to exercise EXTREME caution when asking people to read your personal statement on this board.  Be especially careful with members who have yet to establish a reputation and credibility on LSD.

Earlier during the application cycle, a member of LSD has asked me to read her personal statement because we had similar backgrounds and she aspired to duplicate my luck with getting into a top school on a not-so-great LSAT.  I gladly offered my help.  She then asked to read the statement that had -- I believe -- a great deal to do with my acceptance to Boalt. 

She then emailed me to tell me that she decided to change her statement completely and a few days later I received a statement for review from her.  The only problem was that it was almost identical to mine in terms of theme, topic sentences, etc.  She had even borrowed whole phrases directly from my statement and inserted them into hers, without ever bothering to hide the obvious plagiarism. 

I know that we all want to believe in the innate goodness of people, but I want people to be aware that not all law school applicants are exemplars of ethics and it is best to excercise due caution.

jaxon

Re: A warning to the newbies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 08:52:38 PM »
Yes Ruskie... thanks for reminding us that your PS was just SO incredibly good, that someone wound up borrowing from it for their own...

TLFKARG

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 08:55:40 PM »
Yes Ruskie... thanks for reminding us that your PS was just SO incredibly good, that someone wound up borrowing from it for their own...
Frankly, I think the fact that anyone could lift entire sections of my PS is a testament of its unoriginality, and not its quality.

kristay

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 08:56:16 PM »

This stuff happens, unfortunately.  Newbies should definitely be warned about plagarism because it DOES exist.  LSD may seem like a community, but there are clearly people so desperate to get into law school that they would cheat to do it.

Newbies SHOULD be careful about who they send their PS to and should be warned against posting their personal statements on the board.  Ruskie's PS is not the first to be plagiarized and ppl should be reminded that it can happen.

jaxon

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 09:00:02 PM »
Frankly, I think the fact that anyone could lift entire sections of my PS is a testament of its unoriginality, and not its quality.

fair enough... ;D

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 12:31:12 AM »
You might even want to have a policy that no personal statement reviews are permitted.  THEN, set up a referral program with a reputable essay-review service.  You can make an agreement that LSD members will get a percentage-based discount if they go through you, and the essay-review service will pay LSD referral fees.

It would not be a big money maker, but it might generate enough to pay down hosting fees LSD.

A.J

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 12:39:10 AM »
Hurly, none of the rules and regulations stuff you keep posting is ever going to happen.

Anyway Ruskie, why give up your statement in the first place?  I would echo the caution given. 

DOWNY

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 12:47:36 AM »
I'll save us all from this problem in the future. DOWNY will review everything all at once in this post and therefore prevent statements being stolen.

To everyone who wants their personal statement reviewed, these are my comments:

1. It's f-ing terrible, are you illiterate?

2. You have no hope in life anyway so what good will your bad personal statement about your study abroad in France do?

3. Why don't you save time and apply to Cooley, which doesn't require personal statements or letters of rec? (or a college degree for that matter).

That should take of everything.

DOWNY

bluetooth

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 02:44:39 AM »
Plagarism is extremely dangerous. If caught, you might be kicked out of the legal career for ever.

:) Here I want to express my thankfulness again to those who have helped me.

txgirl

• It's like raaaiiiinnn on my wedding day....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 07:47:33 AM »
That's why I was surprised that people were posting their PS on here or sending them to people they didn't even know.  Competition is fierce, so why would you even think that people who are applying themselves would have your best interest in mind?  Not that I don't find people on here to be helpful; most do have something of value to say, but you know...

Ruskie, now I'm curious, what was your LSAT score and, oh, may I read your PS?;)  Seriously, I won't steal it-I've already sent my applications.  I just want to see what a winning personal statement looks like.